German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reading more and more about people feeling guilty that they want to buy a purebred dog with a responsible breeder.

It is your life, your decision, your money, your time that you put into the research, do not EVER let anyone guilt you into anything.

If you want to go with a breeder, go with a breeder. If you want adopt, then adopt but you, YOURSELF need to be a 100% certain that you made the right choice. Don't EVER let anyone do the choice for you and guilt you into something that you don't want!

It's infuriating me that there are people out there shamelessly guilting you into going to shelters and make it seem like you'd be a bad person if you don't get a shelter dog.

You are not a bad person!
You are not a bad dog owner!
It's your life! Stand up for yourself and the choices you make and don't ever feel guilty that you have bought your dog from a responsible breeder!

Rant over!

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Bravo! I agree!

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
You must be reading different threads than I am. The only thread I saw talking about guilt was a rescuer feeling guilty because she wanted to buy a puppy and I think every single person told her to not feel guilty and to get the puppy. She was placing the guilt on herself, completely unnecessarily I might add.

I also can't think of single time that anyone on this board made anyone feel guilty over buying from a responsible breeder.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You must be reading different threads than I am. The only thread I saw talking about guilt was a rescuer feeling guilty because she wanted to buy a puppy and I think every single person told her to not feel guilty and to get the puppy. She was placing the guilt on herself, completely unnecessarily I might add.

I also can't think of single time that anyone on this board made anyone feel guilty over buying from a responsible breeder.
Jax, nobody gets guilted on here into anything but it's been quite a few topics on different forums and blogs where I've seen people talking about feeling guilty to go to a breeder because they read an article or talked to some shelter people. There is a Forum for German Army Wives and boy do they make you feel like crap when you talk about going to a breeder and what bad of a person you are and that breeders are like cancer and the reason for overflowing shelters.

It was a rant in general.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
ahhhhh...that makes more sense! So you really are reading different threads than I am!! LOL

Responsible breeders are not the reason there are animals dying in shelters. Responsible breeders are the reason the standards of the breed are being maintained.

·
Registered
214 Posts
How about being guilted into taking a pug you don't really want? :(

·
Registered
208 Posts

Almost every time someone asks for recommendations for a breeder, someone will speak up telling them that they should adopt an adult dog. I was told three or four times in a similar thread that I posted, even AFTER I explained that I was NOT INTERESTED IN A RESCUE. Constantly posting "you should consider adopting an adult dog" fosters that "self-imposed guilt" that you're seeing pop up. People shouldn't be made to feel like their decision to get a puppy is selfish.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Almost every time someone asks for recommendations for a breeder, someone will speak up telling them that they should adopt an adult dog. I was told three or four times in a similar thread that I posted, even AFTER I explained that I was NOT INTERESTED IN A RESCUE. Constantly posting "you should consider adopting an adult dog" fosters that "self-imposed guilt" that you're seeing pop up. People shouldn't be made to feel like their decision to get a puppy is selfish.
I have never seen anyone TOLD they SHOULD adopt a dog over buying a dog. They are asked if they have considered it usually because of what they've posted they are looking for in a dog. And if it is said several times then it's probably because someone didn't read through all the posts.

To be quite honest about it...you only feel guilty if you allow something to make you feel guilty and you decide to take it that way.

Every post asking for a breeder is answered with a list of breeders in the area. Sometimes what ppl are looking for can only be found in adult dogs. How can you know if your dog will be dog aggressive, cat aggressive when it's a puppy? Oh...you can't. So why not ask if they've considered a rescue from a foster home that has been tested and evaluated?

I do rescue...and next dog will be a puppy from a breeder because of what I want. I don't feel guilty, nor could anyone make me feel guilty about it.

And Moonlight!! A pug?! No way could anyone guilt me into taking a pug! LOL

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have never seen anyone TOLD they SHOULD adopt a dog over buying a dog. They are asked if they have considered it usually because of what they've posted they are looking for in a dog. And if it is said several times then it's probably because someone didn't read through all the posts.
You're right about that.

Every post asking for a breeder is answered with a list of breeders in the area. Sometimes what ppl are looking for can only be found in adult dogs. How can you know if your dog will be dog aggressive, cat aggressive when it's a puppy? Oh...you can't. So why not ask if they've considered a rescue from a foster home that has been tested and evaluated?
I've seen people looking for a puppy for their family without "special needs" and people have still suggested adoption. That's fine, if they feel that it raises awareness or adoption rates, they can do that. But I DO think that it makes people feel guilty for wanting to buy a puppy instead of "saving a life".

·
Registered
334 Posts
It is your life, your decision, your money, your time that you put into the research, do not EVER let anyone guilt you into anything.

You are not a bad person!
You are not a bad dog owner!
It's your life! Stand up for yourself and the choices you make and don't ever feel guilty that you have bought your dog from a responsible breeder!

Rant over!
Thank you for posting this! It's something I need to remember, as I have sometimes felt guilty for wanting to go to a breeder. Actually, it's a pretty good thing to remember for other things that one can be guilted into also.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
You're right about that.

I've seen people looking for a puppy for their family without "special needs" and people have still suggested adoption. That's fine, if they feel that it raises awareness or adoption rates, they can do that. But I DO think that it makes people feel guilty for wanting to buy a puppy instead of "saving a life".
I guess it's all in how you take it. :shrug:

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I think when it comes to first time dog owners, they should adopt an adult GSD, it doesn't mean it has to be a senior, maybe a GSD over a year old so that they have a better idea of what their personality is going to be like. If you get a GSD in the shelter and it looks exactly like a GSD then chances are it IS a GSD. Why do you need paperwork to prove it is one? There are several stories on here about people who have their first GSD puppy and they are horrified that they are "sharks" as puppies and those "new GSD owners" have either had enough and want to get rid of them or they think that their puppy is being aggressive or that it is a bad puppy, they didn't know they acted like that, blah blah blah. GSD puppies are a handful and they aren't like other breeds and new dog owners or new GSD owners dont know that. If someone doesn't have alot of time to train a puppy then why would I say "oh yes, a puppy would be perfect for you" when it's not true. I dont see anything wrong with saying "have you considered adoption or maybe an adult GSD would be better suited for your lifestyle?"

Some people may not know that you can find purebred GSD's and GSD puppies in shelters.

We are GSD lovers here, we see threads everyday about GSD's in shelters needing homes, they have an experation date, they dont all make it out alive.

People need to be made aware that there are purebred GSD's in shelters.

My next GSD will most likely come from a shelter, because I would rather save a life, I want to know that I just saved a young GSD from being put down.

·
Registered
214 Posts
And Moonlight!! A pug?! No way could anyone guilt me into taking a pug! LOL
It's my landlady's pug and she's going out of town for a few weeks. I really don't even want to look at a picture of a pug let alone own one. I feel guilty that it'll get fed and watered but won't get any attention. . the problem is I don't think it gets any attention anyway. But if it doesn't how well would it adapt? And then I go back to the many reasons I don't like pugs. Plus, if it didn't work out I stand upsetting the good working relationship we have with her and I rather like living here. The pug deserves a better life than what she's offering but I don't think I'm the one to give it especially if looking at its face makes me cringe. So I guess I'm just a German Shepherd loving snob.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
They are cute, nice dogs...it's the snorting thing from the flat faced animals that do me in. There is no way that is healthy. :(

·
Registered
214 Posts
They are cute, nice dogs...it's the snorting thing from the flat faced animals that do me in. There is no way that is healthy. :(
It really isn't healthy. Pugs are prone to a lot of breathing problems. Breeding dogs to look like a monkey makes me wonder the sanity of mankind.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I know...a friend of my son has pugs. It's terrible to listen to that poor dog breathe!

Himalayans and persians are the same way. I live my himi..his face isn't the standard concave face so he can breathe!

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I agree with the REASONS behind the suggestion. Like others have said...when people talk about wanting some perfect thing with no HD, no aggression, good with kids, etc, etc, etc....and adult dog is the way to go. And that's usually from a rescue (or something like retired breeding female). No breeder can say for certain all their dogs will be healthy and none will have some kind of behavioral issue down the road. Even the best and most responsible. An adult dog provides the "known". Some people are just in denial about what a puppy can do, so people will steer posters in that direction when "all" they want is a "family pet" that is "good with kids" and "won't chase the cats."

I've never seen guilt trips...but sometimes poster have inaccurate ideas of what a puppy from a breeder and adult from a rescue is going to get them.

Also, there are a lot of people on here who say things like "I can't spend more than $800 on a dog. But it needs to be perfect." (Paraphrasing). Yes, I'm going to suggest a $300 rescue over a dog at what generally amounts to BYB prices.

If people get guilt out of that, it's their own problem I guess. I'll probably feel the same way when/if we get one...but the guilt will be my own internalization over the issue, not because I'm letting someone else make me feel that way.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Responsible breeders are not the reason there are animals dying in shelters. Responsible breeders are the reason the standards of the breed are being maintained.
This. *Applauds*

I've also seen it on forums in which people inquire about how to become a breeder and I've seen people pound it into to them that breeding is bad, bad, bad!

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Something I wanted to mention is that I've also seen it the other way around, especially over here. If you get a dog without papers a lot of people make it seem like you made the worst decision ever. That you can't work the dog because of it's unknown pedigree and that they are not good enough and that you should have went to a breeder to know what you got.

It doesn't matter which side you are on, as long as you, particularly you, are happy with your decision and did what you thought is right, don't let them ever make you feel guilty!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts