German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this posted on my local Craigslist:

Do Your research on german shepherds (everywhere)

Date: 2010-02-11, 10:52PM CST
Reply to: see below

A Beautiful Puppy
Buying a German Shepherd puppy with assurance that you are getting an excellent dog requires some knowledge and planning. Step by step instructions to getting a great dog will be given in this article.
Things You'll Need:
You need to search the ads in recent dog magazines and newspapers to locate a good kennel that has puppies.
A healthy and happy puppy
To find a kennel that has puppies, look at the ads in the recent issues of dog magazines and on the internet. It really does not matter where the kennel is located, because all breeders ship their puppies safely by airplane. You can get a puppy from Germany just as easily as one from the USA. The Germans are very diligent in breeding excellent dogs.
Germans train their dogs to be Shutzhund I, II, or III with III being the best. Usually the sires are more apt to be in category III than the dames that are bred frequently for puppies. To be classed as Schutxhund III, the dog has to run for 10 miles while accompanied by someone riding a bicycle. A Shutzhunde III has to be a strong, healthy dog to have accomplished this.
2. Step 2
When you examine the pedigree of the puppy, you will learn about his ancestry. The ancestry of most Shepherds can be traced back over a hundred years to the first Shepherds that began the breed. It is said that a wolf was bread with a dog to begin the breed. It is possible to research the ancestry of your puppy to see exactly what kind of puppy you are buying. All large breeds have had trouble with hip displasia. Therfore it is imperative to buy a puppy whose dame and sire possess good hips. If the puppy comes from Germany, his parents will have "a" certified hips. In United States, you will want the dame and sire to be certified OFA. You also need to check the bite on your puppy to besure it is correct.The lower teeth must not stick out farther than the upper teeth. Shepherds come in black with tan marking, and all black. Long hair and short are both acceptable. However, avoid white shepherds. They are albinos and frequently have vision problems.
The black wears off their noses and they end up with pink noses. While white chephers can be beautiful, it is not good for he dog to be an albino. When the puppies are born they are all black and should not have any white fur on them at alls.

1. black and should not have any white fur on them at alls.
2. Step 3
It is necessary to check the puppies out carefully. Be sure the parent dogs do not carry their tales curved up over their backs, because the chances are the puppy will have a tail like his parents. Also watch out for soft ears that droop. All puppies are born with their ears drooping, but the ears begin to stand up and proceed to become erect if the parents have erect years. American bred shepherds tend to have floppy ears and gentle dispositions.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
well I started laughing about the wolf who broke bread with a dog

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Watch out for those albinos!

Well, it sounds like intentions are good, there is a lot of useful information, just some errors. Shipping from Germany is much more expensive, which the people on WorkingDogs will confirm.

·
Super Moderator
32,038 Posts
ou need to search the ads in recent dog magazines and newspapers to locate a good kennel that has puppies.
Yeah, that's the best way to find a well bred (excuse me - BREAD! :rofl:) puppy.

To be classed as Schutxhund III, the dog has to run for 10 miles while accompanied by someone riding a bicycle.
:spittingcoffee: That's the AD, but I believe it's around 12 miles, not 10.

It is said that a wolf was bread with a dog to begin the breed.
Said by WHO? Obviously someone who doesn't have a clue.

...the dame and sire...
Like Dame Edna? :whistle:

*sigh* There's more, including numerous other spelling errors (Schutxhund? Shutzhunde?) but why even bother. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
:headbang:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
... :rofl: .... Its so sad its funny.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
wow 10 miles with a bike?? Those dogs must be super dogs. That's going to be question #1 the next time i'm looking for a pup... can your dogs run 10 miles with a bike???

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
can your dogs run 10 miles with a bike???
Morgan, in her prime, would have had no problem with that with a little training. She's 8 1/2 now, doesn't even get winded when we powerwalk the 1 1/2 mile to the cove. She swims, romps in the marsh and we walk home. Otto is the one who always looks tired on the way home!

Is it something I'm looking for? Nope, I like have a teenager who I can wear out. Morgan was HORRIBLE to get enough exercise in her when she was Otto's age.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I cannot believe that post...its sad. Think about the folks who read it as info from an expert.

It is amazing since everyone knows a Schutxhund III is 20 kilometers...8k with a 15 minute break, 7k then 15 minute break, and then the final 5k.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I cannot believe that post...its sad. Think about the folks who read it as info from an expert.

It is amazing since everyone know a Schutxhund III is 20 kilometers...8k with a 15 minute break, 7k then 15 minute break, and then the final 5k.
Hey, I guess I should update my signature!!!! KEETA: SchH III
(Boy, that was easy to accomplish!)

Oh wait, the article said 10 miles? I think we did 12.5 miles - so does that make her a SchH IV??? :wild:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts