German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help selecting the best type of grooming tool to use on a daily basis. Currently I am using a basic bristle/pin brush, which does not seem to be working the best. Any suggestions on what I should be using? Thanks!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I use a Furminator on my regular coat shepherd. I use a metal shedding rake on my long hair. A horse rake also works well on all of mine. Kong made a rubber fat tooth brush for a while that worked real well on the regular coats, but one of the dogs thought that it was a toy and ate it

·
Registered
730 Posts

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
I would get an undercoat rake. I use it on my long coat and my stock coat. It is all I need but have a bristle brush for the LC's legs and ears.
The furminator sometimes takes too much from the dog and will break the guard hairs. There is a dog in the club I go to, and he was over furminated! Be careful if you use-not to overuse it.
Diet also plays a part in the shedding, if your dog is on a great diet w/ supplements you won't see as much shedding.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I use an undercoat rake. I have a Zoom Groom and Furminator, but both break and rip off guard hairs. Work great on a cat....not so much on my GSDs.

My stock coated dogs only get brushed maybe once a month though. I guess their diet must help b/c their coats are sleek but they don't blow or shed so much I have to brush them constantly. I really only do it for shows.

·
Super Moderator
32,310 Posts
Undercoat rake here too. Works great on my longcoat shepherds and also my long haired (Maine Coon) kitties.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Rake here too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts