German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a BBS next week, he's going to be about five months old.

The breeder told me that he's a little bit shy, and I need the best way to socialize and increase the confidence of an older puppy. I'm returning to my country in less than a month and the conditions for socialization there are not ideal, that's why I want the basics of socialization and It'll be good from there on. I know that dogs need extensive socialization throughout their lives.:help:
Thanks !:blush:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Maybe I'm slow, but what's BBS?
Take him to every new and different place you can think of- friend's houses, parks, pet stores, busy streets, Home Depot, somewhere with livestock, etc. Introduce him to different types of flooring, different ages/races/sizes of people, friendly dogs.
DO ALL OF THIS AT HIS PACE- no "flooding" (putting him ih a situation where he freaks out, and forcing him to stay until he calms down). If he's shy, go out early in the morning so that there are less people and distractions. Use treats and praise to motivate him.
PS- Congrats and good luck!!
If you search the forums, I'm sure there are great threads about where to go.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you like to read, there is also a really great book called A Dog Who Is Always Welcome. The whole book is about properly socializing your puppy/dog.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
DO ALL OF THIS AT HIS PACE- no "flooding" (putting him ih a situation where he freaks out, and forcing him to stay until he calms down).
Really great advice along with the rest of 1der-girls post. If a dog is really shy flooding can backfire so take baby steps rather than giant leaps when you're socializing.

One thing I didn't see her mention was getting the dog use to noises. Keys, bells, whistles, horns, kids yelling, babies crying, other dogs barking, something falling on the floor.

Good luck with your new pup!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts