German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went over almost all the posts on the 'how much does your puppy weigh' page and I think Sunny will pretty much be the heaviest of all. Two days ago he turned 11 weeks and I weighed him at 31#! And this was before feeding! I don't think he is fat but I need some expert opinion from you guys.

His dad was 100# and his mom around 90 and they were pretty big. But looking at the way sunny is growing I think he will be in the 120# range... Hence the concern. Also, both his parents are OFA Excellent, black / tan colored.

I'm not letting him jump much because I'm concerned about his joints.

His feeding schedule:
Feeding him Nutra All Natural Lamb and Rice
Morning (7:00am) - 1 1/2 cups and one egg with shell
Noon - 1 cup and one egg with shell
Night - 1 Activia light yogurt
I use the kibble for training too.

Exercise / training:
Around 1 1/2 miles of walking and running around in the yard while fetching.

Any input will greatly be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm far from an expert, but he doesn't look at all overweight to me.

OT but how are you feeding the egg? Do you break it open, feed it whole, or what?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm far from an expert, but he doesn't look at all overweight to me.

OT but how are you feeding the egg? Do you break it open, feed it whole, or what?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thanks :) thats what I thought but his growth rate puts him at around 120# when he is fully matured, it is way higher than his parents... I've had an american mastiff in the past and he had to get an ACL done... I'm just worried that sunny might end up with similar issues.

Regarding the eggs, I crack them open, mix it with the kibble and just throw the shells in his bowl. Sunny just swallows them sometimes :).

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
OP, he looks like he's in good shape. He'll likely stay around his dad's weight. If he gets to the 120lb range, I'd have to wonder if he was overweight. As he appears now, he's good. I've seen 8 week old pups go home ranging from 14-20lbs and not top out past 95. It really just depends on the dog. Usually males take after dad and females take after mom. since mom and dad are pretty close in weight, you can figure he'll likely be around 90-100lbs.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Also not an expert. He does not appear overweight to me either. He looks good and healthy. There SHOULD be an obvious 'waist' to a GSD. And seeing SOME ribs is not always bad. I think most people are a pretty good judge of when their dog is overweight. It can be hard to notice sometimes though since you are seeing your dog every day. 31lbs is A LOT for an 11wk old-how sure are you of his birthday? I'm sure some other people will contribute, but in all in all, Sunny looks great to me!! Congrats on your BIG pup!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KZoppa, thanks for the reassurance :).

Malachi'sMama, thanks :) and I'm very sure of his birthday (04/19/2013) :).

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
My female pup was about 30 lbs at 12 weeks and finished at about 70 :) He looks fine! He'll probably slow down at 5-6 months on the growing.

·
Registered
938 Posts
He doesn't look overweight to me at all, just barrel-chested and big-boned. He's going to be a big dog like my girl (even the same coloring as her!) One thing my vet told me was to pay attention to how physique feels under your hands and not pay too much attention to numbers. He's got a nice waist right now. Also puppies go through all kinds of awkward as they grow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts