German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15wk old puppy loves to go over to small dogs usually adults and put them on their backs and growl if they try and get up. I think its play but sometimes it gets a bit aggressive when the other dog gets up.

He also does this to a rotweiller/collie mix that he sees every weekend and that gets quite aggressive when the rottie gets fed up and tries to get up- although he never does.

I don't want to promote this behavior at all but am not sure how to correct him, any advice?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Are you sure he's being agressive? We took Deuce (16 weeks) to Petco last week and he growled and barked while jumping forward at a small Jack Russel. I pulled him back and said "NO!" and the trainer I was talking to said he was playing....Shepherds tend to look agressive but that's really only play. She said if it was agression, he would have immediatley bitten the small dog (which he didn't).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, well he doesn't bite them.. I guess I am probably overreacting a bit and just think he's being aggressive. Thank you.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
it sounds like he may view the smaller dogs as a version of litter mates. It doesnt sound aggressive but it is something you want to correct before he gets too big. He needs to learn that kind of behavior is not acceptable. Really the only way to do that is to correct him when he starts to go for it. Stop the thought in its tracks so to speak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts