German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shay at 10 months old is a very lovable easy going puppy/dog but even when he was very young I think he has been trying to be dominant over Meb my 3 year old. (Both are males that were neutered at 6 months of age) Not sure if this matters but Shay -neutered at 6 months old - has been lifting his leg to pee since he was about 3-4 months and still does after being neutered. Meb rarely does lift his leg. I treat Meb as Alpha dog -examples: as both dogs sit for a treat Meb gets his first, they eat side by side but I put Mebs dish down first. I have been trying to let Meb out the door first as they sit to go outside. Shay loves to play but even at a young age the play between these two is more like fighting and I break it up every so often because they get a little out of control. Shay will put his head on top of Mebs neck, put his paws on top of Mebs shoulders etc. Whenever there is a struggle over a toy, Shay is very determined and persistant and it doesnt matter how long it takes him he will end up with the toy, stick ect. Meb just gets bored with the struggle. Now here is my question: Which dog is really alpha dog??? I think for now it is still Meb. Am I goofing something up by giving Meb everything first. If Meb is still alpha now, how will I know when/if it changes. Any advice would be helpful as I am a fairly new dog owner (Meb is my first dog and have had him for almost 3 years) and I want to know what I should be looking for as this is the first time I have had 2 dogs. Thanks for any advice.
Cindy

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Anyone? I'm curious too.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I've found that with my 2 dogs the 'leader' role tends to switch depending on what the issue is. Toys got to Bretta, no matter what and Elsa allows it. But chewies/rawhides (if one gets eaten and one is left) go to Elsa and Bretta allows it.

I have found it doesn't matter who's leader when with them. GENERALLY they work it out between themselves. But I am like the OP with the point that if things DO seem to get out of hand, the ultimate leader is me. That's what's really important, they both know to look to me and listen to me and keep an eye on me if things start going awry. Cause I'm coming in and BOTH dogs are in trouble.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, also one thing I forgot. Meb is always trying to mount Shay? Does this have anything to do with dominance?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts