German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some reading from a Google search. Both dogs (especially the puppy) get super excited, jumping on me and then start aggressively playing (they way they always do) when I come home after being gone several hours.

Also, Max (puppy) likes to bring me toys to play tug of war, and likes to jump on me at times. I read somewhere this is dominance behavior. On the other hand, I've had both dogs bring back their marrow bones, and neither one ever has a problem if I take away a bone or toy while it's in their mouth (or food for that matter). Could this just be his personality, or that he wants to play?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
forget about your dog being dominant and alpha. i read somewhere
"when your dog isn't doing what you want you have to stop and
ask yourself what am i doing wrong".

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, just wanted to be sure. He doesn't really know the command to "stay" yet, but I will say that his recall is very good, especially when off-leash somewhere (dog beach or the desert). When I call his name, he never questions me.... unless he's actively in pursuit of a rabbit (but after 2-3 times calling him, he comes anyways).

Also, I'm guessing this might need to be in another thread, but is there any purpose of why dogs smell other dogs' genitals, or even mine if I just came out of the shower? I wasn't sure if that was a dominance thing, or just for identification.

·
5,627 Posts
Also, I'm guessing this might need to be in another thread, but is there any purpose of why dogs smell other dogs' genitals, or even mine if I just came out of the shower? I wasn't sure if that was a dominance thing, or just for identification.
A huge portion of a dog's brain is dedicated to its nose. Smelling is a way to get to know each other as every dog and human has their own unique smell.

Stop worrying about dominance, all you will do is make yourself crazy. Many behaviors could be considered dominant but that doesn't mean every time the behavior is displayed that the dog is trying to dominate someone or something.

Focus on behaviors you like and reward those. Ignore, redirect or fairly correct behaviors that you don't like and don't stress over what they might mean.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
@Pkhoury....smelling private parts?

The dogs once held a meeting,
They came from near and far,
Some came by greyhound buses,
While others came by car.
And hardly were they settled,
And allowed to take a look,
When they had to take their rear end off,
And hang it on a hook!
And hardly were they settled,
Each mother, son, and sire,
When a dirty Dobermann Pinscher,
Began to holler fire!
Well out they rushed all in a bunch,
And had no time to look,
And in a random took an end,
From any end full hook!
And they got their ends all mixed up,
And it really made them sore!
To have to wear a rear end,
That they never wore before!
And that's the reason why today,
A dog will take a sniff or smell,
At every dog he meets.
And that's the reason why today,
He'll leave a big fat bone,
To sniff the rear end of another dog,
IN HOPES HE'LL FIND HIS OWN!

Hope this helps and provides some brevity!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Also, I'm guessing this might need to be in another thread, but is there any purpose of why dogs smell other dogs' genitals
I pray for the day when my new male does this instead of going for the face to smell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts