German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a close to 2 year old GSD (female) she has been a great dog obeys and listens to everyone, but she has a "problem" with the 2 littlest ones.

In the past she has gotten testy and nipped and has been corrected.The biggest impact we have had on her is removing her food bowl and having them feed her with supervision.When we did that she stoped and we in a way got lax with that, and now she has tried to bite the 7 year old and was Severely corrected to make sure she never does that again. I promised myself one more shot with her cause that could have been bad.

Now for the last month she has just been ignoring them like she hates them now.

#1 She hasent been spayed, could this be a problem? (i know i should get it done anyway.
#2 If they pick up her ball and say something like " get ready!" she'll jump up and wont in anyway be aggressive toward them.However if they try and get close and pet her she will turn to goo and try to get away.

I think my nest step is to get them to control her food and her privlages. She will be 2 in november, is it too late for her?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dog likes to drink from the faucet on the house and the 7 year old went to turn it on for her. And as far as i know the little ones wouldn't do anything to harm the dog.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Get a trainer to come in. She is only 2 and still a pup
dogs enjoy learning. I think spaying her will help but they has to be something else with the kids,
My lab hates kids because when she was a pup kids would be nasty, throw things and hit her. (before we got her)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm also wondering exactly how the situation played out and what you mean by "severely corrected" when she tried to bite the 7 year old. GSDs can be extremely sensitive - is it possible that she now associates the child with something bad??

I would agree with getting a trainer to help you with this. I would ask the opinion of a professional, but I think that having her rely on your kids for her food and her fun/playtime (under very close supervision!!) may not be a bad idea. I'm not a trainer, and I would certainly ask the opinion of one before going ahead with it, but I found that it worked for me.
I did that with my Alomar when my mother moved in with me. He was never aggressive towards her, he just wouldn't listen to her. Once she started feeding him and basically controlled everything he wanted for a period of time, it was fine. He realized that she was above him in the pecking order.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Originally Posted By: K9_3342The dog likes to drink from the faucet on the house and the 7 year old went to turn it on for her. And as far as i know the little ones wouldn't do anything to harm the dog.
Ok, here's my $.02. The dog likes to drink from the faucet. The kid goes over to the faucet and the dog thinks the kid is trying to "take" her faucet. She doesn't realize the kid is going to turn it on for her - she just knows that someone is getting close to HER facuet.

So she gives the kid a warning. You said she TRIED to bite the kid. Trust me, if a dog wanted to bite a kid it would. I'm guessing she tried to WARN the kid away from HER faucet.

I believe this because of your previous post:

Quote:The biggest impact we have had on her is removing her food bowl and having them feed her with supervision.When we did that she stoped ...
When you had the kids feed her you were starting to show the dog where she ranks in the pack - BELOW the kids. But when you stopped doing it she reverted back to her old behavior - "I'M more important than you."

The WHOLE family needs to start doing NILIF with this dog to show her exactly where she ranks in the pack. And you need to KEEP doing it. Maybe for the life of the dog.

As for "severly" correcting her when she tried to bite the kid - that's actually a bad thing to do. What that teaches a dog is that they shouldn't warn - they should go right to bite. And her reaction to the correction shows what she got from it. Not "don't warn the kids" - she got "the small humans can cause the large humans to punish me".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She was severely corrected because she pulled a Very very bad stunt and drew blood on the 7 year olds face, she tried to hurt her and she almost did, that is if she was any closer to the dog it would have been the hospital. I guess i didnt make it clear, she tried to Bite her. It was bad.

The little ones will be taking over her food which is really the only thing that can be controlled.

We live in the country , she is on her own alot, out by herself and when the rest of the family gets home, she likes to be around everyone else.

other than in general, being a Boss to her period. There isnt really a lot of things to control besides her food.

But as i said the young ones will be feeding her and doing there best to keep themselves above her.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: K9_3342She was severely corrected because she pulled a Very very bad stunt and drew blood on the 7 year olds face, she tried to hurt her and she almost did, that is if she was any closer to the dog it would have been the hospital. I guess i didnt make it clear, she tried to Bite her. It was bad.

<span style="color: #FF0000"> Drawing blood is NOT "trying" to bite. That IS biting if it was the dogs teeth that caused the blood. </span>

The little ones will be taking over her food which is really the only thing that can be controlled.

We live in the country , she is on her own alot, out by herself and when the rest of the family gets home, she likes to be around everyone else.

other than in general, being a Boss to her period. There isnt really a lot of things to control besides her food.

<span style="color: #FF0000">It sounds to me like this dog has NO structure in her life. She is left to do WHAT she wants, WHEN she wants. I live in the "country" too and my dogs aren't left to their own devices out by themselves. Is this dog an outside only dog? </span>
<span style="color: FF0000">I agree with the other poster, the dog went after the kid, the dog got "severly corrected", now the dog views the kids as the "enemy" because they CAUSE her to get corrected. I agree, I think you should really get professional help. </span>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts