German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does one curb mild dominance aggression in an 8 month old puppy? We practice NLIF and have done so since he was 5 months old. He's usually pretty compliant with me, but when he gets "zoomy", good luck trying to get him to NOT steal things off of shelves or bounce off of the furniture or barrel straight into our legs or leap up and NIP our arms! He also doesn't respect my mother as much as myself, so with her these episodes are quite a bit worse. We're trying to train it out of him, but I just wanted to ask, is this just a phase? And what's the best ways to deal with it?

Also, a small question on food aggression; we can't give him any rawhide/knuckle bones/marrow bones, because when we need to take it, he will snarl and back away with it. I don't want to get bitten, so we've eliminated these altogether until we're certain we can train this tendency out of him with such treats. However, he is also slightly food aggressive with his food. What we do is we tell him to sit by where his bowl is set down, we put his bowl down, put his food into his bowl, tell him to "leave it" (which he does beautifully), and then "take it". He eats like a dog starved, and if I put my hand near his nose he will growl a little bit. I will tell him ENOUGH and he will stop, and I will continue petting him. Honestly I could put my hand IN his bowl when I tell him to "take it" an he'll eat just fine, but if I take it out and try to put it in his bowl again, he's growling. I just wanted to know if we're going down the right track with this, he's been growling less but at a very slowed rate since we've started this routine. Can this sort of aggression ever be eliminated?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't ever plan to Alpha Roll my dog-- I've heard a lot of awful things about it, and it just seems like a weird and senseless thing to do. I do however plan to exercise him more; we don't have a fenced in yard, but we have a fenced in concrete pool area where he can run, even over the top of the pool cover (that thing can hold a small car). I also plan on taking him on jogs with me, and see if that wears him out too. Now that I think of it, it just makes sense, and I'm glad it's not really aggression! The food thing though; I am sort of culprit of hovering over him while he eats, not on purpose mind you. So I should stop this, maybe feed him by hand? I seem to be getting mixed messages here on what to do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.