German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has turned me on to the German Shepherd breed. She has always liked them and now that I have been reading up, I am very interested. She has two long haired cats, that are very beautiful, but also are getting old. So we have plenty of time to research.

We are interested in the true long coats. Since our current pets are unique, we want a unique dog as well. I want to stay away from those Shilohs and Kings. I came across Schloss Felsen kennels in Nebraska. Does anybody have experience with this kennel? Are these true GSD with long coats? Or is there another reputable person to get on a waiting list for a long coat?

Thanks for any input. We have lots of time to scour the world for the right GSD for our family. We are looking for a companion that we will be train to at least CGC.

David

·
Registered
311 Posts
hi and welcome. By true gsd I am not quite sure what you mean. A lot of great breeders
get long haired GSD's when they breed , i believe it is a recessive gene, I would start there. I would not look for a breeder that breeds exclusively for long haired dogs. As with any animal I believe when you breed for a specific color , trait , size, shape ect.. you limit the gene pool. I do like the fact that the breeders dogs hips have been tested.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi and welcome. I too love the long coats. I have both. I also have solid black in both short and long. Here is one of my males Monkey Butt (no I did not name him my husband did) He needs a good grooming in this picture. He is a sweet loving boy that always keeps my laughing.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Schloss Felsen is certainly breeding true GSDs, not Shilohs or Kings. Their dogs appear to be German Show lines.

If you go to their nutrition page, they say they require you to feed a quality kibble plus NuVet supplements, which they sell. You can't buy NuVet at the store, you have to order it through a distributor, which this breeder is. Personally I don't like a breeder who requires you to feed a supplement that they conveniently sell. There are better supplements than NuVet.

Other than that, I don't see anything about them that would make me dismiss them. If you like their dogs they're probably worth checking in to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. It is quite daunting once you start reading about pedigree, hips, elbows, sires, dams, etc. Head starts to spin. I will probably try to attend an event that may be close to home to get some face to face interaction. I am truly excited to learn more and eventually become an owner of this fantastic breed.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts