German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never a dull moment. On Thursday I noticed a change in Kaiser. He wasn't as energetic and kept up hocking up stuff. It was white foamy stuff. He ate breakfast ok, but when dinner came around he wasn't interested. I also noticed that the water bowl had not been drained (the kitchen usually looks like the pipes burst b/c of him).
So my wife looked around on the internet and one of the matches for the symptoms was bloating. Off to the emergency vet we went.

After waiting for what seemed like forever they x-rayed him and did other stuff. No blockages, everything looked ok. Then they took the temp and it was like 104 and by now he's blowing snot out his nose.

The vet finally arrived at upper respiratory infection. Gave us some antibiotics and off we went.

I've discovered he's a pain to get pills down. But he has two doses in so far and is already getting back to normal.

It cracks me up how much we treat our dogs like children. But they are.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Don't feel bad.

I would have run to the vet as well. Never had a dog bloat, but live in fear of it. Now, just how do we treat them like children? The kid would have to wait until morning before going to the Dr. D'OH, I shouldn't have said that.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You caught me: we end up treating them better.

They can't tell you 'yo! pops, my stomach is upset and I feel like I'm going to decorate your floor in a minute and I think I have a fever'. Instead they just give you a look act differently and you've got to figure it out on your own.

Oh - and just like WebMD: don't go trying to diagnose stuff over the internet. There was no bloat or twisted stomach going on. He didn't swallow a Gi Joe or sock. He doesn't have rabies or anything else the internet could lead you to think he has.

Yesterday's lesson: if you want to diagnose what's wrong with your dog go to vet school or just take the dog to the bloody vet. Don't try to be House and figure it out using the internet.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. We are, he'll be taking all of the antibiotics they provided us and if there is sign that he is not improving or all better we'll be back to the vet. But during the day so we can get in our kennels at the regular time.

I'll have to put some of the video on youtube b/c he was trying so hard to stay awake. It's funny how like human babies and children they can be.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Regarding getting the pills down, have you heard of or tried Greenies Pill Pockets?

Available at most pet stores (like petsmart) and usually for sale at the vet's office too.

Wonderful things they are!

GREENIES Dog Treats - Dog Dental Treats & Dental Chews | Greenies.com

Never a dull moment. On Thursday I noticed a change in Kaiser. He wasn't as energetic and kept up hocking up stuff. It was white foamy stuff. He ate breakfast ok, but when dinner came around he wasn't interested. I also noticed that the water bowl had not been drained (the kitchen usually looks like the pipes burst b/c of him).
So my wife looked around on the internet and one of the matches for the symptoms was bloating. Off to the emergency vet we went.

After waiting for what seemed like forever they x-rayed him and did other stuff. No blockages, everything looked ok. Then they took the temp and it was like 104 and by now he's blowing snot out his nose.

The vet finally arrived at upper respiratory infection. Gave us some antibiotics and off we went.

I've discovered he's a pain to get pills down. But he has two doses in so far and is already getting back to normal.

It cracks me up how much we treat our dogs like children. But they are.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Gwenhwyfair - I had not heard of them. I usually stuff pills in to a hot dog, but we don't have any in the house at the moment. Cheese didn't work - he was able to separate the cheese and pill. I ended up crushing the pill and mixing it with a little ground beef. That went down without too much fuss.
I'll give the Greenies a try because Sparkles, our female boxer, is a PITA with pills too.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
They've only failed me a few times!

For the really persnickety pups that may smell the meds follow the instructions on the bag. Insert the pill with fingers of one hand while holding the pill pocket in your other hand. Pinch the pill pocket closed with the hand/fingers that have not touched the pill.

Another trick, take one of the pill pockets break it up into a few pieces and roll it into little balls (sans pills) and feed like treats. Feed a couple of 'blanks' then give one with the pill and then a few bits without pills. This way they get into this 'oh he's only giving me goodies mode' and they will stop 'testing' for a pill.

Usually dogs love, love them like treats. They are soft like cookie dough and very palatable to most dogs.

@Gwenhwyfair - I had not heard of them. I usually stuff pills in to a hot dog, but we don't have any in the house at the moment. Cheese didn't work - he was able to separate the cheese and pill. I ended up crushing the pill and mixing it with a little ground beef. That went down without too much fuss.
I'll give the Greenies a try because Sparkles, our female boxer, is a PITA with pills too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts