German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our cable provider just started to offer this. It's like 5 bucks a month, so I bought into it. I used to leave the classical music station on for Jaxon, but this channel is supposed to be just for him. I have to admit the programming is pretty cool. I'm just not sure it really does anything for him. I've snuck in and actually caught him staring at the TV, so Ehhhhhh, maybe it is something.

Do you think that this really is helpful when leaving doggie at home in the crate?

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
We got rid of our cable because we just weren't watching tv anymore and when we did watch something it was almost always on Netflix. But I have played a few of their sample stuff from YouTube on my Apple TV and my dog watched it LOL... But he likes watching tv, I watched animal odd couples on Netflix and he literally watched the entire thing!

I could see it maybe being nice for a dog with bad separation anxiety and maybe just having it on while you're away at work or something.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
An expensive tv used to cost 300 and lasted 10 years. Now they cost 2000 and have limited lifespan because if any part goes out teh repair will cost more than the tv. Leaving tv on for a dog is stupid.

·
Registered
25 Posts
1080P 40" sets are easily under $600 and last years. Most components at extremely cheap, its people who over charge for simple work that drive repair prices up, often lying about what was wrong to charge more. DIY keeps you from being scammed by these people.

No formal education, I just play with computers a lot.

Its all going to depend on the pet, if they are interested in TV or not. I have had cats that might find the TV interesting occasionally, I've also had cats that hissed at their own reflections! I did a quick search and it confirmed my thoughts on the subject. Dogs may be more interested in higher refresh rates to make a steady image for them, 75Hz and higher, since they process imagery faster, not exactly the content. A 60Hz motion is jerky and probably incoherent to dogs while 120hz/FPS makes for something we would see.

I just learned something today, will keep in mind if I decide to get another TV.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
We have a free preview of it, but I won't pay for the station. My old dog is uninterested, but my pup would probably like it. He watched a good bit of Pride & Prejudice with me so surely DogTV would be at least THAT interesting. ;)

My cat is the big fan of DogTV. she loves the stimulation episodes, but I don't leave it on. Otherwise, she can't resist jumping up on the stand and I'm afraid she will knock something over. She was fascinated by all the crawlies and balls bouncing. Of course, she's a champion flying insect hunter so it figures.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahaha. I love it! DogTV backfires and now all the worlds cats are entertained and the dogs could give a rats *&^#$%^@!

HAHAHA. My cats do the same!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts