German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the subject of dogs who react to the TV has been covered before, but I’m reviving it, because Siggy was cracking me up earlier watching a dog on TV. It was a video on the news of an astronaut’s dog reacting to her return— jumping up and down, wiggling and whining. He has reacted before to dogs barking on TV, but this one didn’t bark. I guess it was the movement that he noticed. He jumped up, ran to the TV and stared at it, then ran around beside it, to look for the dog there, ran to the front again. So, I found the Westminster show on demand, to see if he would be interested, but he paid no attention to that. When I pointed at the dogs, he just looked at my finger.
A couple of days ago, I was watching “Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood,” and he reacted to the dog barking near the end of the movie (by barking, too). When my husband watched it the next day, he barked again when the dog barked. Interestingly, he paid no attention when the dog was attacking someone, growling and making angry noises. I wondered if those might have been sound effects not actually made by a dog (since I assume he didn’t actually attack anyone), and maybe didn’t sound like a dog to Siggy.
The only other dog we’ve had that reacted to the TV was a lab who freaked out on a commercial that had chickens in it. Every time it came on, he would bark at them, and when the chickens ran across the TV, he would run around the side where they had gone, looking for them. It was hilarious. It was the only time he ever noticed the TV, though.
Anyone have dogs watching TV stories?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Max was watching the toy group at the Westminster show the other day. He seemed interested in their movements when they ran around the ring.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Nitro generally ignores what's on TV. The only time he's reacted is when a dog on TV squeaked a squeaky toy, then he was interested.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you get some video up on a sharable site, I would love to share it to an Animal Cognition Group for discussion. It fascinates me. My guy gives it a "meh"

·
Super Moderator
32,138 Posts
Cava is a TV watcher. She'll run up and stare at the TV when America's Top Dog is on. And there was a thing back in August that had agility, dock diving, and flyball demos. I did get some video of her watching part of the flyball segment, it was hilarious. She got VERY excited!

·
Registered
231 Posts
My Golden, Daisy, would watch TV. She seemed to enjoy it, so we'd leave Animal Planet on for her sometimes when we left the house. She was the type who, if an animal exited screen right, would run over and wait for the animal to appear on that side of the TV. On other hand, her buddy Gaucho, a corgi who was smarter than her in all other obvious ways, seemed completely oblivious to the TV. Nana, our current Golden, doesn't watch TV, and neither does Jupiter, our GSD.

It doesn't seem related to general intelligence, because I would say Jupiter is the smartest of them all, yet he pays no attention to the boob tube.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Agis also likes America's Top Dog! He watches intently and barks occasionally.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
It's funy, Tessa loves TV. She'll come running from another room if she hears music from a commercial that she likes. Della never even looks at it. Smokey the cat loves it, Katana the other cat doesn't ever look.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Willow loves to watch TV. I got really into watching MeatEater (Steve Rinella's hunting show on Netflix) a few months back and whenever there was an animal on screen---any animal, whether making noise or not--she'd run up to the TV and stick her nose on it, follow the animal around, whine...she was really into it.

Watched the old animated Lady and the Tramp recently too, and then the new Lion King, and she was all over those. Just now a clip of a husky failing at an agility course (on the news) came on and she lifted her head, clearly interested.

Kinda annoying because I have to clean the nose smears off the TV afterward....

·
Registered
107 Posts
My husband was watching some Si Fi alien movie.., the music at the beginning made Lex run and jump on my lap.. panicky... mommy hold me face..twice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts