German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some recent threads and a recurring incident this morning made me wonder about some dog behavior in our neighborhood. I can have our door open, Tess lays by the screen observing the world around her. She'll bark if someone walks a dog by, but usually does not get up, and it's a quick bark or two and then she's done. However we have a neighbor that walks with her son and their two poorly trained dogs. The dogs are always pulling them, they walk in the street not on the sidewalks, I think to keep them farther away from homes and more distractions. I heard that the mom was actually drug a little way last week after falling. Anyways Tess is so keyed into these dogs, that before they are in sight she is up and barking, if I'm not right there to correct she gets worked up into a major barking/growling mode. What I find most striking about this is that BEFORE Tess ever lived here we had two other dogs, one is with our daughter, one has passed away. They were also calm easy dogs, but had the same type of reaction to these two. I do not let Tess continue her behavior and she loses door privileges just in case anyone wonders.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I believe there are dogs that give out a certain type of energy that does bring out a reaction from the most sedate and easy-going of dogs. I believe this, because I have such a dog, LOL.

Keeta has never been good with other dogs - too much energy, too overwhelming, too much of a bully - it took a LOT of work and training to get her under control, but even if she is walking nicely on leash in a heel, ignoring other people and dogs, other dogs will lunge, snap, bark and growl at her out of the blue for not apparent reason. People will say "well, there is ALWAYS a reason, Keeta must have been doing the sink-eye thing at them", but we had lots of incidents at different training venues where she may have her back turned to another dog, and the other dog walking by behind her reacts in such a way - where she wasn't even aware of the other dogs walking by behind her.

One thing I hear ALL THE TIME from other dog owners after their dog has lunged, snapped, growled at Keeta is "I'm so SORRY! My dog never acts this way, I don't know what came over him!" I reassure them that it is not their dog, but mine.

Happens with people I know, and I know their dog, and I know that they are being truthful about how friendly their dog is and how their dog is normally friendly or neutral to other dogs, but not Keeta! If I take her to the vet, we do a lot of eye-contact competition type heeling, not because I'm trying to show off ;), but to prevent her from making eye-contact with other dogs around, because that often sets them off.

Have to say, that as she is getting older (she is 9 now), and calming down, these incidents are becoming rarer, so there is something about her energy that is calming down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts