German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jake is not storm fearful and will sometimes run TOWARDS sound of thunder to chase it away.We had bad thunderstorms yesterday.We came inside when mucho lightning started in area.I was reading -jake sleeping on floor next to me.Couple close boomers then suddenly Jake leaped up and started to howl!He does NOT howl (in fact I keep fooling around to try and get him to give it a try).He did a full minute of ROOOOOO.then sat and stared at me.Today I found out one person killed and 4 injured by lightning strike at state park about 3 miles from my house at just around that time!Is it possible somehow he sensed this???

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Re: dogs & sixth sense?

I doubt it, just one of the those coincidental things that happen, How many ppl die within a five mile radius of you for any and all causes? I would also suggest that since it was an accident with injuries and a fatalitie that ER and police vehicles were dispatched with sirens going. That gets all the dogs howling in my neighborhood before I even hear the sirens. Remember, dogs have better hearing with a larger range of frequencies

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Agreed
They only know when something is bothering you or when a storm is approaching

·
Registered
945 Posts
I wonder the same thing sometimes. When I was pregnant last summer my GSD kept bugging me in my sleep so I got up to let him out and had some bad bad pain. I was contracting and he was trying to wake me up( I was extremly tired chasing a 2 yr old around) and tell me that I need to take care of it. As the night went on I paced and did this and that and the whole time he was next to me. All of a sudden he just layed down and went to sleep. As I looked at him and questiones it in my mind I realized the contracting had stopped. I plopped down on the floor 9 mo prego and slept with him.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Originally Posted By: acurajaneI wonder the same thing sometimes. When I was pregnant last summer my GSD kept bugging me in my sleep so I got up to let him out and had some bad bad pain. I was contracting and he was trying to wake me up( I was extremly tired chasing a 2 yr old around) and tell me that I need to take care of it. As the night went on I paced and did this and that and the whole time he was next to me. All of a sudden he just layed down and went to sleep. As I looked at him and questiones it in my mind I realized the contracting had stopped. I plopped down on the floor 9 mo prego and slept with him.
that is different from a "Sixth Sense" seeing that dogs are being trained for medical alert and disease detection jobs now.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live on a street where there is a group home for disturbed teens and frequently rescue truck with sirens go by-also close to I-95 with frequent accident/sirens.He has never responded at all to sirens and has NEVER howled before.I thought he was acting out of character at the time and maybe it is just me tying it into a sad occurrence when I found out the next day(I had NO idea at the time)-but I really think dogs may be more aware of things happening than we think

1 - 7 of 7 Posts