German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question... I see someone in my neighborhood is leaving their dogs (one a GSD about a year old or younger, one an old limping golden maybe 12 years old) outside in the yard for extended periods, and it was ZERO degrees when I got up this morning. I watched the dogs for a bit. The old one is just lying by the house, looks around once in awhile. The GSD wanders the yard, sits, looks around, barks, sits, picks its paws up like they are cold, goes back and lays by the older dog. There appears to be no doghouse or shelter, not even a pad or blanket to lay on (they are laying on concrete). How long will they be ok? I have no idea if they were let in at night (my guess is if they were, garage) but if they are outside all day like this with a high of 14 degrees, will they be ok? I am worried, its supposed to be this cold all week. I wish there was someone I could call about the welfare of these dogs. (Owners also have 2 puppies who I dont see outside, and they had another GSD that they "lost" because it kept getting out). What would you do?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I would go over to them, knock on their door, and say, "hey did you guys know that your two dogs are outside?! Brrrrrr. I'm surprised it didn't snow/ice overnight!"

You said "I wish there was someone I could call," but in my area there is, and I would call whatever governing body of animal welfare in my area, and file a complaint.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: cassadee7Question... I see someone in my neighborhood is leaving their dogs (one a GSD about a year old or younger, one an old limping golden maybe 12 years old) outside in the yard for extended periods, and it was ZERO degrees when I got up this morning. I watched the dogs for a bit. ...
What do you consider an extended period of time?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally Posted By: ArycrestWhat do you consider an extended period of time?
Usually these dogs are in the yard all day and often the GSD is out all night. In this weather I'd say over 30 minutes is even an extended period but maybe I am wrong. I have been watching them out there for an hour now.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Most laws require that a dog left out must have access to shlter and water. I might be a nice neighbor and go speak to them about this if you are on good terms and they are reasonable people. If they are not, then I would call the police.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: cassadee7Usually these dogs are in the yard all day and often the GSD is out all night. In this weather I'd say over 30 minutes is even an extended period but maybe I am wrong. I have been watching them out there for an hour now.
Yes, I'd say that's too long to leave any animal outdoors in that type of weather without a warm shelter and I assume water unless they have a heated bowl. I'd do something about it - talk to them or ask a/c to investigate. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
In most States, the laws require that dogs left outside are provided with clean (and non-frozen) drinking water, as well as shelter from the elements if they are kept outside for extended periods of time. The definition of shelter can vary, and most states are happy with a crappy wood structure, but I suppose it's better than nothing at all.

You can look for your state's laws at http://animallaw.info/ although those don't necessarily seem to cover everything. It's the first place I would check out, though.

Depending on where you live, you may need to contact Animal Control, the Dog Warden, or the Sheriff's office. Unfortunately, in many areas, especially rural places, the response time and response can vary quite a bit. My area, for example, has a Dog Warden, but calls to his number receive no response or call-backs, and he doesn't seem terribly interested in following up on complaints, either.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Originally Posted By: HistorianIn most States, the laws require that dogs left outside are provided with clean (and non-frozen) drinking water, as well as shelter from the elements if they are kept outside for extended periods of time. The definition of shelter can vary, and most states are happy with a crappy wood structure, but I suppose it's better than nothing at all.

You can look for your state's laws at http://animallaw.info/ although those don't necessarily seem to cover everything. It's the first place I would check out, though.

Depending on where you live, you may need to contact Animal Control, the Dog Warden, or the Sheriff's office. Unfortunately, in many areas, especially rural places, the response time and response can vary quite a bit. My area, for example, has a Dog Warden, but calls to his number receive no response or call-backs, and he doesn't seem terribly interested in following up on complaints, either.
Call now,don't even engage them,you won't change their abusive attitudes.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
These people I know from Germany always keep their GSDs outside.
They have a dog house & a warm bed.

They thought it was quite odd that I kept Keys inside....
(I personally wouldnt leave Keys outside.)
But I dont think it hurts dogs. As long as they have a dog house & blankets.
Maybe it could hurt/kill REALLY small dogs....

But how you describe it, THATS JUST MEAN!!
Those poor dogs!

·
Registered
31,829 Posts
30 minutes is not long. But hours with no shelter is unacceptable.

The shelter needs to be dry and not too large so the dog's body heat can keep him warm.

Bedding is important if they are out at night as well, but unless it is really cold, a dry shelter should provide enough warmth for a dog used to being outside.

zero and below is what I would call really cold. If it is warmer than this, dogs will drag their bedding out of the shelter because it is simply too hot for them in the enclosed area. If the bedding is wet it needs to be replaced.

A dog should have a place to go if it is raining, snowing, or the sun is beating on them.

Some people just believe that dogs belong outside. That is their culture. The dogs generally know nothing else and if the person provides water, food, shelter, and spends considerable time with the dog, it is not cruel. The problem is the considerable time. The time you all are spending on your computer or watching TV or cooking dinner with your buddy crashed near you is time that they need to be engaging their dog outside. And this is where most people fail with maintaining and outdoor dog. It is actually EASIER to keep a dog inside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts