German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working in my mums shop today, I noticed a jeep type thing pull up outside as I had the door open with it being a nice day. I didn't notice the dogs in the car until I heard whimpering and looked up to see a small whippet/minature greyhound type dog trying to climb out the window on the passenger side. I rushed out to stop it jumping out or catch it if it did, but it couldn't quite squeeze through. There were two dogs in the car, all windows were open a bit and the windows in the back half of the jeep were tinted. However both dogs were panting a lot, I couldn't see any water left anywhere for them, and one of the dogs was quite distressed, crying and whimpering and alternatively trying to sqeeze out the window and climb on the dashboard and press himself against the windowscreen as if looking for a way out. The other dog wasn't as upset but neither was it just lying down waiting. Now, this was sometime after 12, so the hottest part of the day. It was sunny for a while and to me it felt very hot in the sun, (probably not so hot to most of you living in America). I went to a pub and got some ice cubes for them to lick but they weren't really to interested in them. The owners were gone for well over an hour, probably closer to two. The second dog had started to bark just before they came back. I had gone out to try the ice cubes again when the family returned, so I decided to say something. Not being great at confrontation I probably could have approached them about it a bit better than "Are these your dogs? You shouldn't leave them alone in a car in weather like this..." I told them that they had been upset, crying and trying to get out the windows and that I thought it was too hot to leave dogs in a car for any length of time. In return I was told "oh thats just their temperament, we were just gone for food, we bring them everywhere, the windows are tinted so it's not that hot in there".
These were tourists, who had driven over from England and brought their dogs with them on holiday, so why leave them in the car? It was a warm enough day to sit and eat outside and there are plenty of places to do that here. And if it had been me, I would have thought that part of the responsibility of bringing your dogs on holiday might mean eating in the car or having a picnic somewhere if it saves your dogs from being left in the car in the sun. So I thought it was wrong of them :confused: or was I over-reacting as the windows were all open and tinted? Was it ok to leave them, even though they obviously weren't happy being left alone like that. :(

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have actually called the police 2 times for dogs left in the car.

One was a young lady who was grocery shopping, left her lab mix in the car in the middle of an afternoon in July. Police pulled up, smashed the window, grabbed the dog and we sat in the shade with him until the owner came out. She got a huge fine but left with her dog.

The second time an elderly couple left their 2 Saint Bernard's in a car (same month in the same parking lot!). They were in there for over 3 hours (I worked in the plaza and had a 3 hour shift, they were there when I went in to work and there when I came out). My boss called the police, they opened the door (it wasn't locked) and called AC to come and get the dogs. Not sure what happened after that.

I have also confronted other people about it, in a NOT SO NICE VOICE.

IMO, you did good.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
No, I probably would have done the same, I try to be "nice". Once it starts getting warmer out I never leave my dogs in the truck, which usually means there wont be many truck rides unless there is a specific destination, like the beach.

·
2,967 Posts
I don't know. I suppose that to me it depends.

When we work our dogs they are in crates in the car (and yes we train in the summer as well when it gets to be well into the 90s). The dogs have water, we park in the shade, and we leave the windows open but having been yelled at by well meaning people before about how my dogs are panting and cannot be in the car at all (yes I know they are panting but that doesn't mean they're about to expire) I tend to be more hands off when people choose to leave their animals in a vehicle. I think a hot closed car with no water is definitely a bad idea...and would have called the police on animals showing signs of heat distress, but probably would have left animals that looked fine alone.

Although I am inclined to agree. If I brought my dogs along, if possible I would have them out to eat with me.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
If the dogs are in a parking lot in the hot sun, I do have the store announce over the PA or sometimes they do call the police. I don't hesitate and have done it several times. The reason I know the dog is in there is because they are frantically barking. What would happen if everyone ignored this situation and the dogs were brain damaged or dead? I will leave a note on cars with dogs in them, wait around after contacting store employees to get the owners. They usually come out with a full grocery cart, not just a run in type visit.

If the weather is nice, no big deal, but heat kills...

I also train, leave my dog in the truck with a fan on him and water, we don't always have shade but I have a mesh reflective blanket-check on him alot.

This is on my FB status right now:

Wall Photos
Summer is here everyone.... DO NOT LEAVE YOUR PET IN YOUR HOT CAR!!!! PLEASE!!! Not even for "just... a minute"... That excuse kills your pet.
By:Barking Mad LLC

See More

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I take my dog everywhere with me unless I am going into a store. I do not leave him in the car alone. I dont need some weirdo putting their hand into my car and getting bit or unlocking the door and letting my dog out. There are just too many creeps in this world. I would also never leave my dog in the car without air conditioning. Not only is Sinister a furry beast but he is a solid black furry beast.

I do not have air conditioning in my house. It has gotten up to 78 degrees, I leave every fan in the house on high, when I leave for work I place a standing fan on high in front of Sinisters kennel and leave him with water

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I have my dogs in my van at times year round. Any time it is more than 50 degrees, I have all the windows open (they are crated and I can lock my crates). If it is more than 70 degrees, the only time they are in the car more than 10 minutes is at training, in which case the doors and back hatch are open, plus I use screens and white sheets to shade certain areas. When my friend and I met for training last week it was so hot and humid with no shaded parking I actually took both sets of keys and had the AC on full blast while the dogs were taking turns. All the crates have water bowls and I use damp cloths or shamwow for the dog to lie on or have draped over their back.

If someone truly thought my dogs were in danger I'd rather have them call on me just to be safe. I'd rather explain myself than have that person pass on a dog that truly was in peril.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Keeping a dog in a crate in a cool spot, with all the windows open, water dish avaliable, fan blowing/AC on, sitting in the shade with YOU CHECKING ON THEM while at training is a totally different story that leaving them in a car, with the windows down a crack in the middle of a parking lot.

I leave Stark in the car, in his crate with a crate fan on. We park in the shade, ensure there is a lot of water and are always checking on the dogs to ensure they are okay. They are also in ear/sight range incase something happens.

Two totally different things.

·
2,967 Posts
I suppose it depends. We lived in a very animal rights active area and dogs could not be unattended in car PERIOD. Windows open, tailgate open, water, fans, even if your AC was on, Heck 45 degrees in December...you had to be in the car with your dog at all times if you were within City limits or you could be fined or your dog taken by AC. And I thought that was a little ridiculous, even if it was well intentioned, so I think it's made me a little defensive about dogs in cars.

Leaving pets loose in a vehicle unattended is a great way to come back to a dead dog and/or a destroyed interior. To me 78 degrees would be a beautiful spring day and not particularly hot at all and I wouldn't feel the least bit concerned about leaving my car parked with windows down, dogs in crates, in the parking lot. 50 degrees and I would have gloves, 2 sweaters, and the heater running. Now that we're hitting 90 it's what I would consider Hot. So I find temperature to be relative to the area that you live in and what your dog is acclimated to.

What bothers me more is the stress the dog showed when left alone. That mental stress combined with the heat could put the dog into distress. I would never leave my dog alone in my car unless he showed every sign of being perfectly comfortable. The dog freaking out and trying to get out the window could easily hurt himself, so without even focusing on the weather situation I would say that this was a bad idea for these people and their dog.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I was at a dog show once and this message come over the loudspeaker:

"To the idiot in the red chevy who left their dog in the car. You no longer have a window and you no longer have a dog."

I think that says it quite nicely.

Jelpy

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I agree, it depends on the situation. Some dogs just act up when left so the dog may have been nervous rather than overheated but in that situation it sounds like it could have been an issue and I don't really see a problem with you telling them what you did.

I know my terrier used to act up when anyone left him. If I left the car without him he would whine and bark (he had a squeaky yelping type of bark) even if there was someone else in the car with him. He would do the same exact thing if we were out on a walk with two or more people and one person walked away from him while another person held his leash... He'd bark constantly until the person came back. He did not mind being alone in general, he just did not like people walking away where he could see but not follow. If you covered his eyes or distracted him so he didn't see the person walking away from him (or walking away from the car) he wouldn't bark at all. He was a terrier though so he was noisy in general, and had a very loud high-pitched bark.
Once I left him to run in a store and had a person yell at me (because of the noises he was making in the car I guess they thought meant he was in trouble, when it was really just his normal terrier barking.) I tried to explain that he always sounded like that, the car was perfectly cool.
We had stopped at a store and I needed to pick something out, so I blasted the a/c and then went in the store just long enough to grab the item I needed and give it to the person I was with so they could check out. The car was still nice and cool from the a/c when I returned, but Pooch was noisy as usual. I believe I had my Golden in the car too but she was just lying in the back quietly as usual. Bianca is also very quiet in the car and lays in the back so I doubt most people would know there is a dog in the car (unless they walked past with another dog, in which case she'd probably bark.)

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Thing is~ when the dog is distressed for whatever reason the chance of overheating is increased because they aren't in a relaxed state. If they are whining and barking you can bet they are overheated even in temps we think are managable. Not a good idea if over 70 degrees and the sun is on the vehicle...

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i'm not one for leaving a dog in a car.
then again i'm not one for leaving a dog
anywhere.

i think your feelings were justified and giving
them ice was a good thing. telling the people how you felt
was good also.

now on the other hand it seems like the
people thought they were doing the right
thing by taking their dogs everywhere with them.

i think they should have taken the dogs with
them while they were shopping.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I think it really depends on the situation - in your situation, you did the right thing due to the length of time these people were gone. If they'd just gone into some place and come back out within 10 or 20 minutes, that would be a different story, but they were gone for more than an hour, which is too long to leave a dog in the vehicle.

As far as the dogs' behavior - some dogs are just like that. Some dogs bark and whine and look for their owners. My Malinois is Velcro dog and you'd think she is going to self-destruct if she is not near me and cannot see me. She doesn't bark and whine, but she does pace and look out the windows. (She will bark if a stranger approaches the vehicle, however.) My Shepherd just likes to hear herself bark.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I also take my dog with me almost everywhere unless I'm going to be out of the car for more than 5-10 minutes. I live in Florida, so I also keep a second set of keys and keep the car with a/c running while I finish fast errands. If I need to go to the grocery store or do something that takes longer, I leave him home in his crate. My GSD loves car rides and I hate to deprive him, but always think of his best interests first. Common sense is all that it takes. He especially loves the pet stores and other places where he can get out and join me... I like those runs best too! :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I only leave my dog in the car if its like 60 out or I leave the car on with the AC and the doors locked with a extra key, I would not leave my dog in the car for even 5 mins in this heat we have had ( 80-93) and if I leave him in the car he has water, normally the water is cold too fresh from a bottle from an ice chest.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I had someone yell at me when I was living in MD. It was about 1 or 2 AM and I dashed up to the Giant to get some milk. I had Echo with me. It was a pleasant night, probably around 65 or so, light breeze from the Bay, the windows were down. The "lady" had heard that dogs can overheat in cars in the summer, but never took into consideration the actual weather conditions. I wasn't real polite to her when she kept screaming at me that I was killing my dog.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I have had a similar experience Gayle - TWICE.

The first time, I was coming back from training with Abby and stopped at the local supermarket to pick up some meat for dinner. Abby was in the back of the car, windows down, hanging out and waiting for me to get the meat. All I did was grab a pack of steaks and get into line. Apparently, someone had approached the car and she'd started barking (duh) so he went into the store and had them call me on the loudspeaker because "my dog was in distress". I was in the middle of checking out!

The second time, my husband and I were coming back from Leesylvania Park where we'd taken Abby swimming (there is a dog-friendly beach). She was still wet, laying down in the back of the SUV, and had her bowl of water. It was early evening and about 70 degrees. We stopped to get soda and dessert. When we came out, there was a police car because someone had flagged them down in the parking lot (they used to sit at the edge of the parking lot, doing paperwork), saying that someone had left a dog in the car "in this heat". They could have just called our toll-free "in case of emergency" number that was taped to both rear side windows, but I guess flagging down the police was easier. The officer actually apologized but wanted to know if we could recommend a breeder.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I went into Wal-mart tonight, I parked next to a gorgeous boxer in a nice truck with the windows down...I could never leave my dog like that, with all the weirdo's coming and going...as stated before, who knows who would give him something to eat, he was very friendly, not reactive at all.
On the way out a poodle type in a closed up SUV no windows open at all and the dog was barking, etc. It was 75 degree's out and 6:30pm. I sat in my car for a few to look at pics I just got developed, and I was warm just sitting there. Lucky for the dog, the owners came out within about 5 minutes. It wasn't hot enough that I would contact the management. I do use judgement when I do go forth trying to help dogs in need.
I have only had one confrontation and this was from a person who's dog jumped out of her car( I could hear barking when I went in and when I came out saw the dog squeeze out the window) and was running around in the parking lot. My car said 89 degrees and a storm was kicking up. A cart guy watched the dog do this too, and I said I'd try to contain him til the owners could be contacted.
The dog jumped in my car and an employee went in to page the owner-after 15 minutes she came out and raged on me, she was on drugs or something, screaming the F-bomb, nasty vulger language I was just keeping her dog from getting hit or running off. The security guard followed her out luckily, I really felt bad for the dog having to live with someone like that, and that I had to give him back to her in her state of mind.

·
Registered
27 Posts
question for all, my car has remote start on it and when that feature is in affect the only thing that works is the airconditioner/ heat. Do you think it is ok for me to do that when i have to run in to a store for a few mins? the remote start allows me to keep the engine on with out having the key in ignition so i can safely lock my car. when I have phoenix with me i always leave the a/c cranking on high and pointed to the floor cuz that is where she lays down so it is directly on her. I want to know if you think that would be ok. I know the feature only lasts about 5mins so i am quick about what i have to do.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts