German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k. So bare with me as this might be a little long, but I really need to get it off my chest to people I know who will understand.

So just headed back home from a walk with Penny and my nephew (I was baby sitting so took him for a walk with Penny) and crossed through the mall parking lot to get home. When I notice a dog in a van with the windows down maybe an inch sitting right in the sun. I noted the time and as I had Penny with me could not go into the mall I dropped Penny off at home and my sister had got home early so left Noah at home while I went back over to the mall (this was about 20 mins after so roughly 30 - 40 mins had gone past.

The car was still there the dog still inside, I noticed an RCMP (cops) across the road so instead of calling 911 I ran over to go speak with him... He put his hand inside the car and stated it was not overly hot and the dog seemed fine and he could come back in an hour to check on the dog! Its 83F out today and its really hot esp in the sun let alone in a dark green van!

I ran back home again to grab my camera and as I started to document the car with the dog in it a 70+ year old woman came out of the mall to leave it was her dog in her van!! I was very abrupt with her and told her flat out that I had already had the cops there and that I was waiting for a call back from animal control (called them and they said that the AC officer would have to call me back) and that she is lucky I didnt smash out the windows, she started telling me off saying she has raised dogs for 50 years and "toby" (the dog in question) is fine and that she always leaves him in the car. By this time the dog had been in the car for over an hour! And I told her how long I had noted the dog in there she flat out corrected me saying he was in there for 3 hours! I screamed at her how her dog was going to die and yes I started swearing in the heat of the moment and she took a swing at me!!! Thats right a 70+ year old woman tried to punch me! Now I feel horrible as I was raised to respect my elders and I actually balled my eyes out after the incident because its not like me to swear for one thing and its not like to scream at an elder nor swear at them but this lady had it coming and I had posted it on a community facebook group and several people commented on it saying the know the lady and they work in the mall and how she is so rude to everyone and even they know she leaves the dog in the car!!!

I took pictures of her, the dog, the van, and the license plate. The AC officer got "busy" and told me she would call me on Monday... I am making a formal complaint and this is NOT the first time this lady (this is the first time ive confronted her) has left her dog in the car but this is the first time being active in doing something about it because its sickening! I am not going to let this lady get away with this, and I am no longer going to be playing Miss Nice Lady because I now have AC on my speed dial on my cell and will be reporting every one I come across leaving their dog in cars during the summer...

Sorry about the long rant but if I have to start taking a few hours of my time and make posters/flyers and post them on bulletin boards put them on car windows, do demonstrations, put it on radio stations, walk around parking lots frequented by people who do this with poster boards saying to not leave them in cars and what happens and what will happened when they do then Im going to start doing it Im not going to sit around and complain anymore time to get proactive!

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Yesterday, a man surrendered a beautiful black lab to the shelter suffering from heat stroke. He'd left it in his car--on a day when it was 95. Instead of going straight to his vet for emergency care, he took it to the shelter. It was infuriating.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yesterday, a man surrendered a beautiful black lab to the shelter suffering from heat stroke. He'd left it in his car--on a day when it was 95. Instead of going straight to his vet for emergency care, he took it to the shelter. It was infuriating.
Wow are you serious!?! That is very VERY low I would have been freaking out that is SOOOO not right!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a couple thoughts on this I wanted to share. The first is I whole-heartily agree the dog owner should be criminally punished. People fail to realize or care that the dog was instrumental in our species building up a civilization. They are treated like 2nd class citizens and it's repulsive. Laws should be changed and punishments more severe for the mistreatment of dogs. My other thought is why did you feel the need to get involved? And why did you feel it was appropriate for you to lecture another adult on behavior which you consider wrong? Who are you? Be careful my friend, many people have thought that having the moral high ground entitled them to a voice, and that led them into trouble. I myself use to be like that. I called it the "Hero Complex". Having to right every wrong I saw. Then I got to a point in my life that I decided it just wasn't worth my time. I have a short window in life and I will live it to the fullest. And I will be damned if I allow some inferior primitive to disrupt my happiness.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a couple thoughts on this I wanted to share. The first is I whole-heartily agree the dog owner should be criminally punished. People fail to realize or care that the dog was instrumental in our species building up a civilization. They are treated like 2nd class citizens and it's repulsive. Laws should be changed and punishments more severe for the mistreatment of dogs. My other thought is why did you feel the need to get involved? And why did you feel it was appropriate for you to lecture another adult on behavior which you consider wrong? Who are you? Be careful my friend, many people have thought that having the moral high ground entitled them to a voice, and that led them into trouble. I myself use to be like that. I called it the "Hero Complex". Having to right every wrong I saw. Then I got to a point in my life that I decided it just wasn't worth my time. I have a short window in life and I will live it to the fullest. And I will be damned if I allow some inferior primitive to disrupt my happiness.
Because if everyone took the approach as to let people do this, dogs would suffer, more dogs would die and this would go unnoticed and unchanged, I sat back long enough letting people do this but Im sorry it IS wrong to leave a dog in a hot car. So Im sorry if you want to sit back and let people do whatever then that is YOUR choice, it is MY choice to try to stop this from happening and I do live my life to the fullest just because Im standing up for a cause wont shorten my life nor will it do any harm. Why do I think it was right? Because it is LAW here that it is illegal to leave a dog in a hot car that gives me the right. And who do I think I am? Lets see I am an avid animal lover who cares for all animals and feel that if I do not do anything to help/prevent this stuff from happening I feel I am condoning what people do, my "voice" will educate people and get them to understand that animal cruelty and neglect is not right and will not be tolerated, and will help those animals suffering. So Im sorry if this offended you but if that was the case you should have moved on and not commented but thats JMHO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I cannot stand seeing dogs left in cars! It's like leaving a baby in a car, temperatures sky rocket in a car left in the sun regardless of windows being cracked! It infuriates me. I have always taken my dogs in the car but only to places where I knew they could go in with me, and never leave them unattended in a car!

I cannot believe the police officer was so okay with the dog being in the car! I suppose not everywhere has the legislation and fines my city has for dogs left in cars in any unhealthy situation (although the punishment should be more severe).

·
Registered
120 Posts
I completely understand where you're coming from.
Dogs shouldn't be left in cars for long periods of time.
How did the dog seem though? Was he acting overly hot or distressed?
But, as another person said, who are you to tell people what they should and shouldn't do? I don't think it was your business to get into.
I'm not trying to sound rude or anything. I would NEVER leave my dog in a car (especially not for three hours).
Some people just treat their dogs differently.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I can't say what I would do, it would depend on the full context.

I take my dogs lots of places and it gets hot and humid here (humidity is the annoying part!) just like everywhere else in the summer. If I have a dog in the car I have the front and middle windows down. Not just cracked but at least a foot open. The rear wings are open. I park in the shade and/or shade the crate with a white rag. Any dog in a crate also has a pail of water. Most times the dogs are far more comfortable than I am but I don't need random people calling the police or busting through my windows. If I'm in a iffy or unknown spot (like a restaurant), I actually lock the crates. At work I park in a private lot and we have security and of course at my various training venues everyone is there with dogs and the doors and hatches are left open as well.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
It's good to take action, but be careful, next time the person taking a swing at you may be younger, more violent and actually connect, no need to get yourself injured. Maybe you could make copies of the hazards of pets being left unattended in hot cars and leave them on the windshield, that is if the dog is not in distress, if it is then report it. Just print out copies and keep a few in your car or whatever. Less confrontational and you may educate some pet owners. Just a thought.

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
I take my dogs places summer and winter. I leave them in the car for hours. I am conscious of the temperature and where I park, and how far down my windows are, and the back is open, where the sun is, and how the dogs are.

If the police officer put his hand in the vehicle and found the temperature to be not too bad, maybe you should have gone on your way and minded your own business. You alerted to a possible problem, the officer took his time to check out the situation and deemed it ok. You did your part.

Confronting the lady is kind of like me writing this post -- you aren't going to like it, neither did she. You called the cops you should have let them deal with it. Now you are a vigilante and you became aggressive when she said she has had dogs for 50 years, etc. You were not going to take no for an answer.

She was pushed to a higher state of violence than she ever would have if you would have let it be when you alerted the cops.

There are a lot of dogs in the world and many of them are in life-threatening situations. You cannot save them all. You need to realize where to draw the line. I think you over-reacted and then the woman reacted to your over-reaction.

Was she right in trying to take a swipe at you? No, probably not. It depends on whether you were impeding her from getting in her car and driving away. While she was wrong, she would have never tried to hit you if you were not seriously out of bounds.

I think you should just let it be. The woman has had dogs for a lot of years and hasn't managed to kill one this way yet. Maybe, just maybe she does know what she is doing.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
people like you are soooo annoying. you freak out because a dog is in a car so you flag down a cop. he looks things over and tell you to go on your way. so then you call animal control. they clearly dont think its serious enough and basically tell you to mind your business. so now you come on here to complain. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS! you dont tell people how to raise their kids and you dont tell people how to raise their pets. it would've been hilarious if you busted a window of a car where a cop already deemed the dog was not in any distress.

that lady had every right to be upset. i wouldnt want anyone to confront me at my car and tell me how to raise my dog. if the dog wasnt panting heavily then MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Even if the dog is panting heavily, that's not necessarily distress. My dogs are all panting pretty heavily today. It's hot and humid. We don't use AC. They've got access to fresh water indoors and out and I have fans on the floor in shaded areas of the house. Obviously we're not running 5 miles at high noon. They are all panting despite having done nothing since earlier this morning. If a dog is panting to the point of gasping (like really quick, shallow pants), that would concern me but heavy panting is just the dog's way of cooling himself.

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
It is a very real concern, and you were acting out of concern for the animal. And we do understand that. We (most of us on here anyway) understand the problem with the sun baking on a car making the inside too hot. And we know that not everyone considers this.

But there is a right way, and a wrong way to go about these things. Calling the cop over was really the right thing to do. He took charge and handled the situation, and at that point you could be done.

That wasn't enough, you felt you should educate the owner. Fine. But you have to learn tact. Heck, I know I have none, and am way too direct so when the cop said the temperature seemed ok, I would have probably left. But you wanted this woman to realize the danger to her pet, so you waited, and then the choices are more delicate.

I mean, if you would have seen her approaching and said, "Oh, I am so glad you're out here, I was so worried about your dog in the car, it's getting so hot, and inside it gets hot so fast." It might have been taken better than to let the woman know you called the police and animal control, and you staked out her car for over and hour, and you might have busted her window.

When you give unsolicited advice there is a high probability that the response you get will not be what you want. So the best thing is to make it not sound like advice and to try keep confrontation to a minimum. Because when people feel attacked, the walls go up, and no real learning takes place.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Studies show that the temperature inside cars can heat to lethal temperatures within 30 minutes even if the weather outside is relatively cool. Regardless of outside air temperature, cars heat up at a similar rate - gaining 80 percent of their final temperature within 30 minutes. Cars that start at a comfortable 72 degrees F (22 degrees C), for example, soar to a deadly 117 degrees F (47 degrees C) after 60 minutes in the sun. Cracking the windows scarcely affects the temperature inside.
Nobody keeps statistics on dog deaths from being left in cars, but about 30 to 40 children die in parked cars each year. Considering that dogs aren't allowed in most places children are, and that dogs overheat more quickly than children, it's likely that hundreds of dogs die in closed cars every year.

How to Keep Your Dog Safe in the Summer | Petside

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
when the GF and I are out and about we have a minimum of 2 dogs and as many as 5, i`m very conscious of the temp, last year we went into a restaurant, the temp was 75, had Max and his girl Willow in the van, 2 bowl`s of fresh water, front windows were down half way, all the side windows were open, nice cross breeze, a little while later the manager came over and asked us if we own the van out there, the cops were there, the cop was looking in the van, the last thing you want to do is get your face in the widow of the van, Max is the only male in our pack of 6 dogs, and he lets you know, some good samaritan called the cops and told them the dogs are "over heated", the windows are tinted, the cop asked me open the side door, I said sure as soon as you remove your hand from your side arm, both dogs are registered Therapy dogs, so to the OP, its not really a bad thing you did, lot of dogs die from stupid people leaving them in cars, they even do it to their kids, a call to the police was the right thing to do, and you should have left it at that instead of going berserk

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
people like you are soooo annoying. you freak out because a dog is in a car so you flag down a cop. he looks things over and tell you to go on your way. so then you call animal control. they clearly dont think its serious enough and basically tell you to mind your business. so now you come on here to complain. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS! you dont tell people how to raise their kids and you dont tell people how to raise their pets. it would've been hilarious if you busted a window of a car where a cop already deemed the dog was not in any distress.

that lady had every right to be upset. i wouldnt want anyone to confront me at my car and tell me how to raise my dog. if the dog wasnt panting heavily then MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!
http://www.drkatrina.com/yourpet/Dogs-healthadviceandtips/HeatStroke.aspx

Dogs that have been locked in cars or confined to other hot areas on hot or humid days are also at risk of suffering heat stroke. The risk is increased because they often do not have access to water. Often dogs can suffer heat stoke after being confined to a sealed car, even for only a very short time.
Heat stroke affects the entire body and can cause anything from only very mild signs to very severe and life threatening conditions. Dogs suffering heat stroke will usually have an elevated body temperature (greater than39.5oC). You should take your dog’s temperature rectally. Sometimes a dog suffering from heat stroke may have had a chance to cool down and have a normal or only slightly elevated temperature by the time that you measure it. Other signs that your dog may show include persistent panting and agitation, brick red coloured gums, dullness, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea, an elevated heart rate (greater than 120 beats per minute), weakness and muscle tremors. When it is more severe they may become confused, collapse and may have convulsions.

I hardly feel the officer, by wiggling his fingers in the crack of the window had the ability to assess if the dog was fine. Van in the sun - temps in the 80's...clearly finger wiggling does not measure the temps, nor check heart rate, nor assess the gums - maybe he licked his finger first for a more accurate reading:rolleyes:

Cop should be reported - or maybe local news contacted.

·
Registered
32,016 Posts
heat stroke

Dogs that have been locked in cars or confined to other hot areas on hot or humid days are also at risk of suffering heat stroke. The risk is increased because they often do not have access to water. Often dogs can suffer heat stoke after being confined to a sealed car, even for only a very short time.
Heat stroke affects the entire body and can cause anything from only very mild signs to very severe and life threatening conditions. Dogs suffering heat stroke will usually have an elevated body temperature (greater than39.5oC). You should take your dog’s temperature rectally. Sometimes a dog suffering from heat stroke may have had a chance to cool down and have a normal or only slightly elevated temperature by the time that you measure it. Other signs that your dog may show include persistent panting and agitation, brick red coloured gums, dullness, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea, an elevated heart rate (greater than 120 beats per minute), weakness and muscle tremors. When it is more severe they may become confused, collapse and may have convulsions.

I hardly feel the officer, by wiggling his fingers in the crack of the window had the ability to assess if the dog was fine. Van in the sun - temps in the 80's...clearly finger wiggling does not measure the temps, nor check heart rate, nor assess the gums - maybe he licked his finger first for a more accurate reading:rolleyes:

Cop should be reported - or maybe local news contacted.
Wow, now the owner of the dog -- that was still ALIVE after 3 HOURS of being in said HOT CAR, AND the police officer are BOTH morons!

C'mon, if the car was too hot, then the dog would be dead or having convulsions after an hour or three hours in the car.

Maybe, just maybe the cop was able to stick his HAND in there and judge correctly that the car was ok at present.

It is NOT the same to leave a dog in a car as it is to leave a child in a car. You CAN legally leave a dog in a crate in your home, but you cannot leave a child in a crate in your home for the day while you are at work. It is apples to oranges.

Both children and pets do die in hot cars, but every dog left in a car is not in distress, nor in danger of being in distress.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Because if everyone took the approach as to let people do this, dogs would suffer, more dogs would die and this would go unnoticed and unchanged, I sat back long enough letting people do this but Im sorry it IS wrong to leave a dog in a hot car. So Im sorry if you want to sit back and let people do whatever then that is YOUR choice, it is MY choice to try to stop this from happening and I do live my life to the fullest just because Im standing up for a cause wont shorten my life nor will it do any harm. Why do I think it was right? Because it is LAW here that it is illegal to leave a dog in a hot car that gives me the right. And who do I think I am? Lets see I am an avid animal lover who cares for all animals and feel that if I do not do anything to help/prevent this stuff from happening I feel I am condoning what people do, my "voice" will educate people and get them to understand that animal cruelty and neglect is not right and will not be tolerated, and will help those animals suffering. So Im sorry if this offended you but if that was the case you should have moved on and not commented but thats JMHO.
Relax buddy. I wasn't insulting you. I was merely offering a 2nd voice. This a forum so that should be completely normal.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
I'm copy/pasting my fb status of my experience from yesterday:
23 hours ago
I didn't go off on a person today who left her Brindle Pit in her car while she shopped at Kohls.
I parked my van, and was texting someone, and saw her come up to her car saying "oh, are you getting hot?" so I looked up.
When I got out , I went by her car and said "you are lucky! What a risk, shopping with a dog in your car in almost 90 degree sunny humidity. Why go shopping when you have a dog with you?" She then went off on me. I remained calm, because what good does it do to try to deal with people like that. I just repeated, you are very lucky This Time!. I sure hope she re-thinks her actions today.
Like · · Promote · Share

she wont.... ignorance SUX...
22 hours ago · Like · 1

I would have said "you are lucky, I was just about to break your window" or "I was just calling the police"... Should have taken a picture of her car w/the license plate and posted it to facebook.
22 hours ago · Unlike · 6

Jane: I didn't know about the dog until she approached her car, and said what she did to him. As she was yelling at me, her dog started going off on me(good dog!) and then she used the electric window to almost hurt him! That must have frustrated her more, because she kept saying "I'm not stupid" I just nodded my head...
22 hours ago · Like · 2

jeez! poor dog.
22 hours ago · Unlike · 3

and the sad thing is they are in every busy parking lot in the heat of the day
22 hours ago · Unlike · 2

Especially Walmart
22 hours ago · Like · 1

I've had people go off on me more than a few times. They have shopping carts full so don't tell me you were just running in and out. And one time a storm was hitting a dog sqeezed out of a window and was running around in the parking lot. I was wait...See More
22 hours ago · Like · 3

You handled it better than I would have. That probably would have sent me into labor. lol
22 hours ago · Unlike · 2

poor dog...
22 hours ago · Unlike · 1

Jane, THANK YOU!!!
21 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 2

someone has to be their voice
21 hours ago · Unlike · 3

Because of the way the owners have gone off on me, I know it is upsetting them enough to get their adrenaline flowing. Hopefully it IS a wake up call to the ignorant(yes there are still ignorant people out there!!) and if they are then STUPID enough to let it happen again, the wrath of DOG should be unleashed on them.
21 hours ago · Like · 2
That b needed a check. She's lucky she came in contact with you bc I sure would have busted her window and cussed her out. Some people need to know they r wrong and to watch their actions.
21 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

could have done what so many do these days... taken a video of the dog in the car, her license plate and then her tirade.. and posted it to YouTube!! embarrassment!!
21 hours ago · Like

Jane: I had my phone in my hand, probably would have been shot...I won't gode someone into violence.
21 hours ago · Like · 1

Why do all of the stable people with a firm grip on their temper get these opportunities????? I wish it had been me.I LOVE breaking out car windows to relieve stress, and this was a freebie as I felt a life was in danger.....
4 hours ago · Like · 3

PS, never have "slapped a b up" but It is on my bucket list...
4 hours ago · Edited · Like

You can't fix stupid.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
My dogs are in my car all the time. When at search training, they stay in the crate in the car. The tailgate is open and they have plenty if fresh water.

I live in a small, ridiculously safe country town, so occasionally I have a dog in the car when I run into CVS for something. If its under 70 I just keep it shut up. If its over that I leave the truck running with AC. Never had an issue. Until one day.

It was about 85 and I needed to run into CVS to drop off a prescription. My dog Ike was in the car so I left it running. Did not think twice about it. I drop off my RX and stop at the front counter to get a pack of cigarettes( I know don't start) and as I am standing in line I notice a man, standing by the door dangling MY KEYS in his hand. Like a show and tell. This was the conversation that ensued,

" what the F$&k, MY DOG IS THE CAR!!!!" I run, grab the keys from his hand and go to my car, check my dog ( he was fine it had been 3 minutes tops) go back into CVS. LIVID!!!!

Stranger " you know that you can get a fine for leaving your car running"

Me "HOW DARE YOU ENTER MY CAR AND TAKE MY KEYS OUT YOU AS$&&LE, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO BREAK INTO MY CAR AND STEAL MY KEYS!!!!!!"

Stranger " I was just trying to keep you from getting a ticket"

Me " BY KILLING MY DOG!!!! MIND YOU OWN **** BUSINESS!!! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT!!! "

And yes I was screaming. To this day, just writing this makes me so **** angry I can hardly stand it. I take FULL responsibility for my dogs. I could have taken them home first. I could have done a lot different. By by Gosh that man had no right. None at all and my dog could have died.

So a few lessons learned from this, I take my dogs home now. The people at CVS are scared of me. And I had no delusions that Ike would protect my car. He made not a peep. The man had no idea he was loose in the car. A 90 lb solid black GSD, stayed sleeping in the back seat.

So yeah, this story adds nothing to the conversation. But I wanted to share. Oh wait, I can add something of value....

In my county, if a citizen sees a dog locked in a car that is in distress they are ALLOWED, to break a window to save the dog. It's a good samaritin law. The citizen won't get in trouble. And I would do it in a heart beat. IF I truly thought the dogs life was on the line. But I look and evaluate.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 80 Posts