German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. Earlier today I decided to listen to my dog's heartbeat with a stethoscope I have. My big newfie cross has a steady thump thump thump. Stella, my GSD, has a crazy 3 beats, pause, 2 beats pause, kind of beat. Both have been to the vet of course and no mention was ever made about Stella's heartbeat.
Was just curious if this is normal?

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Probably a sinus arrhythmia. Heart beat spreads up when the inhale and slow when they exhale. It's normal for some dogs if that's what it is. You can call the vet and ask if they noted before.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I've noticed the exact same thing with Echo. I freaked out and called the vet, who assured me that it was totally fine :shrug:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure it is fine. My vet would have mentioned it to me if it wasn't. I probably would not have paid any attention to it except that the last time my newfie x went to the vet, she mentioned what a nice regular beat he had. And she was right....he does. But I think I will ask her about it anyway....

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
My puppy has that same weird heartbeat, just like you described it. My vet told me it was a sinus arrhythmia, what gsdsar said, and it was nothing to worry about :)
It sure does sound strange though!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I third the Sinus Arrythmia. A lot of humans have it as well, especially seen in those with barrell chests and younger people. It's found in men more than women, but it's nothing to worry about. Finn has it as well. An Emerg. Vet told me one time most dogs have some form of SA, some are just more prevalent than others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts