German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dogs are so much easier than humans....and to be more specific, parents

Funny how the dog experience does follow me wherever I seem to go....

At the end of February, my dad had abdominal surgery. They removed part of his colon because they found cancer. They think they got it all, they stapled it back together, sewed up is little laproscopic wounds, and he was the start patient the way he bounced back from the surgery. At 78, he was doing great. But as us GSD folks know, after major intestinal stuff, start back slow.

A couple weeks after the surgery, Dad started feeling bad. He wouldn't let me take him in. The next day he vomited (dog health folks, can you think what this might be?). He had some bloating, stomach cramps, hadn't gone to the bathroom, was very weak and shaky. It was the morning after all that started that he vomited.

Sister tried to get him to the ER all day that Saturday, but he wouldn't go. By Sat, he had gone about 3 days without food. Symptoms continued, with increased vomiting.

Diagnosis?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone make any guesses?

Intestinal blockage. But of course we didn't find that out right away. Mom called me at 4 am Sunday morning. I got to my folks' house and dad had me call the advice nurse, who said he could wait until a clinic appointment -- call back at 6 am to get an appointment. She thought he had the flu. Stupid woman (I was not kind to her), and stubborn dad who wouldn't listen (it was not pleasant between us either).

Called at 6 am and thankfully that nurse said ER ASAP. About Monday at 2 am he had emergency surgery. It took a day for them to figure out what was going on.

Whenever you have an abdominal surgery, scar tissue (adhesions) are formed. They think that a small leak in the first surgery caused increased scar tissue, and the small intestine adhered to the large intestine, caused a kink and ultimately a blockage.

Dad was in the hospital for 2 weeks -- most of that time his bowels didn't "wake up" -- they were traumatized and they were essentially paralyzed. Mom is 83 and doesn't drive and not well, so dealing with both parents, and my zillion hour a week job, I'm not sure how I survived.

Anyway, Dad was a terrible patient because he will only listen to the doctors. NO probiotics
, etc. I did get him to drink some protein shake though, but am still working on the ground flaxseed.

I'm still catching up at work and with life, but it's nice to be able to get back to the board a bit -- it seems like forever.

Btw, they gave Dad some flagyl after the surgery, and I think that contributed to the paralyzed bowels -- same med that caused Indy to be paralyzed. Of course, the doctors say no.....

Ooh, had some thoughts about potassium and bloat, but have to run, guess I'm not done with work yet for the week.

It's nice to be back though

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. Hope he is doing well now. My dad is a stubborn old man too.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Aren't all Dads stubborn old men? At least Dads of daughters? Coincidence?

Lisa, blockage was my first thought. But then, we couldn't analyze your dad's poop as fastidiously as we analyze each other's dog poop.

(sorry. couldn't resist)

My mom had the same sort of thing happen after a hernia operation. Her surgeon accidentally kinked the intestine, sort of like you can get a kink in your garden hose. I was in WA screaming on the end of the phone while everyone in San Diego was very calm: "oh, it's just reaction to the anesthesia, pain medicine {insert stupid theory here}..." Finally, they opened her up and there it was. Sigh. Doctors are only human. Doctors are only human. Doctors are only human. {keep repeating to self...}

Thrilled to hear Dad is recuperating and that your mom is doing ok. Glad to have you back. Missed your crawling tick in your avatar....

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Dad's troubles. My dad is super subborn too.

Love your new avatar!!! Bugs

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey you guys, I think we could all the form the Stubborn Dads Club! Dad is steadily improving, but it's slow.

Still won't consider a chiropractor for all that spine pain introduced in the last two months

I definitely have mixed emotions about that creeepy crawly avatar, but if it fits......eeeeeewww!!

Originally Posted By: 3K9MomLisa, blockage was my first thought. But then, we couldn't analyze your dad's poop as fastidiously as we analyze each other's dog poop.
Oh, too funny there.

Must have been frustrating for you in a different state. I will have to remember your mantra -- I'm sure I will be needing it in the future: Doctors are only human. Doctors are only human. Doctors are only human...

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Jamie, it's nice to be back. I had my first day off today in about 3 weeks....sure did enjoy doing nothing, as I looked around and saw all the housework that needs to be done!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts