German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So It was a funky 24 hours or so.

I will not go into the litter of mice Babs found.

But, I got home last night and let the baby buttkin out into the field and fixed up the food for the others, and put his down, and looked out the window, and there is a spot on him -- he was sitting. I saw it from across the yard out the window. I went and got him and there was a TICK on him!

I have never seen a tick before. I threw Babs into the house and rushed him over to Dad's. Tick removal on a puppy is definitely a two person job. We got it off and in a baby food jar. I put it in my car and left it there in the heat until 3:30 when I went to the vet. It was still alive. Evil Dirtbag!

So I got Odie back from the vet and there is a small snake IN MY BACK YARD! It was black and purplish. Maybe a copperhead. I have NO use for poisonous snakes!!! Now I have to figure out what to do about a snake in my back yard.

In the mean time, the puppies are eating me out of house and home, literally. Past puppies got the siding, well these pups got the particle board, and they got the wires out from under there. That I could not have. So I am out there taping the wires and blocking the area with an x-pen until my contractor can get to it, thinking about snakes, and ticks.

Will get info on what type of tick it is, when the vet gets the results back, they are sending it out.

If it isn't one thing...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Growing up in the country, King had ticks on him all the time. We'd pick 4 or 6 big gray bloody ones off every few days, and sometimes search through his coat and get the little ones that hadn't been there too long. I don't remember him ever being sick. If someone had suggested we bring a tick to the vet, my dad would have looked at them like they were out of their minds. My, my how times have changed.;)

·
Registered
31,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I did not bring Jabba to the vet for a tick, Dad helped me get that off him. I took the tick to the vet to get it identified. I had to take Odie in today.

If it was a Black snake, I would be fine with that, so long as it didn't get to big, but this looked like a small copperhead. Uhg. Maybe that is where the baby mouse I threw out into the yard went yesterday, snakes. And here I am thinking owls or hawks or kitties.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I can't believe you've never seen a tick before, sorry I'm kinda laughing:)))

They seem to be the 'norm' around here!

As for the Snake EEE GADS! This is a tip I got off my chicken forum, since I don't want to see astinken snake near my chickens:) I'll freak:)

Someone suggested, pouring powdered sulfur around your perimeter, apparantly, snakes don't like it, they get in their scales and it bugs them, so they will not return.

Dont know if it works, but thought I'd throw that out there:)

·
Registered
31,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
powdered sulfer.

The snake went under a big piece of sidewalk sitting in the field. The contractor is supposed to set it up to make a walk from the house to the walk between the kennels. But for now it is just sitting there, and the puppies are digging all around there when I let them in the field while I am cleaning their area.

So, the snake concerns me.

I think the mice have noticed the snakes and were coming in because the snakes are out there. That is what I would do. Now I can picture a snake head caught in a mouse trap. But I think they like their prey live, and I don't think they care for peanut butter.

I have about five traps around the house for mice and it has been several days now since I got the last one, presumably Momma Mouse. I will give it another week.

Powdered Sulfer. I will have to find out where to get my hands on that.

Years ago I was mowing the lawn, and Dubya was out in the field watching, and then I saw him way up by the house and not coming toward the fence. It made me wonder. Then I saw it, a massive snake. I finished mowing and went in to see if Dubya was ok, and thought I saw a bite on his ear. I rushed him to the ER with the thought that he was snake bit. My dad laughed at me and said the big old black snake wouldn't have bothered the dog.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Many folks in my area swear by mothballs around the perimeter of the yard (WELL out of the reach of the dogs) but as I google it right now half the pages say it's ineffective and hazardous for all sorts of other things and half say it's an amazing and effective method.

Anyway, worth checking out. I can't recommend it personally, though... never had a snake problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I can't believe you've never seen a tick before, sorry I'm kinda laughing:)))

They seem to be the 'norm' around here!

As for the Snake EEE GADS! This is a tip I got off my chicken forum, since I don't want to see astinken snake near my chickens:) I'll freak:)

Someone suggested, pouring powdered sulfur around your perimeter, apparantly, snakes don't like it, they get in their scales and it bugs them, so they will not return.

Dont know if it works, but thought I'd throw that out there:)
Ditto about the ticks! We were swimming in ticks this spring but the drought seems to have killed them all! Woo!

Sounds like a rough day with all those vermin... My greatest fear is not snake or any bug- but *always* that Dax and I will run across a snapping turtle!

·
Registered
590 Posts
My greatest fear is not snake or any bug- but *always* that Dax and I will run across a snapping turtle!
Oh, that's fun (not). I have ponds both in front and behind my house and get snappers in my yard, especially when they migrate to mate or lay eggs. I can call Buddy away, but it'd be bad if Rey were to discover one and get off-leash. My sister's doberman was barking at one once in my yard and we couldn't get her to leave it alone so I put a broomstick in front of the turtle's face and it struck and latched on. I simply carried it dangling by its mouth on the broomstick and shook it off over the pond. :D

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Tractor Supply will likely have powdered sulfer. We used some in the backyard last year when we moved in and havent had any real issues with bugs or snakes but our neighbors have been having some issues with snakes.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Oh, that's fun (not). I have ponds both in front and behind my house and get snappers in my yard, especially when they migrate to mate or lay eggs. I can call Buddy away, but it'd be bad if Rey were to discover one and get off-leash. My sister's doberman was barking at one once in my yard and we couldn't get her to leave it alone so I put a broomstick in front of the turtle's face and it struck and latched on. I simply carried it dangling by its mouth on the broomstick and shook it off over the pond. :D
Hey, isn't Turtle man in Kentucky ? :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts