German Shepherds Forum banner

Dogs and snow

2K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  mel hunter 
#1 ·
Of course my GS loves snow. We have alot right now too. My question is does it hurt them to eat it?

#2 ·
we are getting heavy snow right now, expecting 20-30"....the dogs have been out several times they love it and it helps to keeo them clean!! yes they stick their faces in it but i dont think they are actually eating it...but if they did its fresh and i dint think its harmful at all

#3 ·
good question. i don't the answer. i don't let
my dog eat it. when i was a kid my mother
would let us catch the snow in a cup. after the
cup was filled she would add cream, vanilla extract
and sugar. i don't think that's a good during
these times. there's to much stuff in the enviroment.

Originally Posted By: NyteOf course my GS loves snow. We have alot right now too. My question is does it hurt them to eat it?

#7 ·
its probably just the same as them drinking cold water, since it turns to liquid anyways.
I dont see how it would cause diaherra unless the dog was eating TONS of snow.

#10 ·
If there was any danger from eating snow there would be no dogs left in this area - most dogs will eat snow without any problems.

Though if I lived in town, I would discourage them from eating dirty snow on the side of the road, but the nice, clean, fresh white stuff in your yard if fine.

#12 ·
it is just water. the only thing you'd have to worry about with the GSD is bloat if they consume too much, same as them driving a gallon of water after eating or the like.

#14 ·
Originally Posted By: doggiedadgood question. i don't the answer. i don't let
my dog eat it. when i was a kid my mother
would let us catch the snow in a cup. after the
cup was filled she would add cream, vanilla extract
and sugar. i don't think that's a good during
these times. there's to much stuff in the enviroment.

Originally Posted By: NyteOf course my GS loves snow. We have alot right now too. My question is does it hurt them to eat it?
I don't know your age, but I remember looking over the fair city I grew up and it was black every day, today I can see one side to the other.

Snowflakes form around a particle of some sort. So each snow flake has a particle of something, and always has. I wouldn't be anymore afraid of snow today than years past. The difference today is we are all so afraid of everything in the world, even snow.

#15 ·
Yes - it's a dust/dirt particle that got kicked up into the clouds. Not exactly pure water - as if water is pure h2o anyway.

Still, my dogs eat dirt all the time, licking their feet to get the mud off or off their noses when they've dug a hole.

My grandmother always said 'You'll eat a peck of dirt' LOL which my dad interprets to 'you should'

#16 ·
Buddy would lick our yard clean of snow if he could, lol! I'll have to watch for diarrhea, but so far, so good. Honestly, I'm just enjoying watching him love the snow.

#17 ·
Perhaps older dogs may have issue with snow...

Our wonder-pup is now 13 years, 4 months... and while she's eaten snow whenever available (just about once a year), the last two years it's seem to be the cause of a day of diarrhea. Poor thing. But when I get to be about 90 years old, I bet some things are gonna mess with my bowel also!!

#18 ·
Kids eat snow and they seem to be okay, so I would think dogs could eat it too. Just don't eat the yellow/brown snow is the rule I was taught, so that has been passed down to the Brewski! BTW I have been around a lot of dogs of different breeds in my 47 years, but none who love the snow like the GSD's wow............

#20 ·
We get LOTS of snow here and my dogs love it! I've not seen any problems with them eating a little fresh snow but the only thing I've seen is when my last dog would eat lots of it really fast he would throw up shortly after. (I just thought his stomach rejected too much cold snow all at one time).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.