German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys can anyone tell me if there is a shot that can be given to dogs to clear up poison ivy?Mason has poison ivy i belive...cause he gave it to me and his belly is covered in spots as is mine...went to the vet and the girl at the counter said they could get it bur i would need to make an appointment and then do scrapings and lab work to tell...I felt that that answer was financialy motivated...all i wanted was a yes or no answer...i know that i have it and only way i could have got it is from the dog...and he appears to have it as well...also any remedies for the dog? Thanks Folks ...Max

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I had the same prob.
People on the board said to wipe to ivy bumps on the dog with Cider vinegar.
I also washed my dogs with Neem Oil Shampoo.

Their red spots are now gone.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Nothing "clears up" poison ivy. It has to run its course. Steroid shots will help. But they don't resolve anything except making the symptoms less severe.

Because that rash can resemble other rashes, I can see why your vet might be cautious and not jump into steroids. They have some significant side effects.

This thread has some suggestions for dealing with poison ivy. They're for humans, and I don't know all the products. I'm sure you can ask on that thread (or send a pm) whether a certain product is safe for a dog. I know Cortaid is safe for dogs. Epsom salts and Vinegar are too. If you use antihistamines on your dog, call your vet for the correct dosage.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=696342&page=1&gonew=1#UNREAD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts