German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Today with pup.
As most know we lost our Tessa almost 2 months ago. Della is 7, they were definitely a bonded pair. We're camping at the same sites we camped at 4 years ago. Della is not eating like normal. She's my eat every thing in site dog and looks for more. She'll eat if I hand feed her or add a treat. Can she be remembering the two of them here. She's also laying on my feet, which was always a Tessa move.
From 4 years ago.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Dogs grieve loss and have tremendous memories, of course!

My dogs have always jumped up in the car the second we hit the cottage road and start getting. excited, even when we haven't been there for 6 or 7 months.

I have a buddy with a female dog that Harley once played with and they had a great time. We went back months later after only the one previous visit and he knew exactly where he was and got super excited as we just pulled in.

I'm not looking forward to ever losing Harley since he and Rogan are so heavily bonded.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Of course she remembers! When we lost our Schnauzer almost two years ago Mia quit eating and would lay on Otto's (the schnauzer) old bed, probably because she could still smell him. I felt so bad for her.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She'd been doing better at home and new routines. I didn't think the campsites 4 years ago would be a memory, but I think it is.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
The first 3 or 4 days after I had Star put to sleep, Eska wouldn't even go off the back deck when I let her outside in the morning. I'm sure she was waiting for Star, as the two of them always went down the stairs together. :'(

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's just so hard, and we can't explain it to ourselves let alone them. The fox squirrels are currently distracting her. Noisy little buggers.

·
Registered
634 Posts
When I left for collage my parents gave my childhood dog to some family friends. 4.5 years later when she would come to visit she would still rush towards my childhood bedroom which was now a guest room. She would jump up on the bed and wait to snuggle... no matter what else was happening. Towards the end, I would have to lift her up and then back down after our snuggle.

Only then, would she check out the rest of the house. The friends would bring her over to visit, but they would not go in the house unless I was there. Otherwise she would lie on my bed and whimper, squeak, and refuse to leave.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
They never forget not even a scent. I believe dogs/animals do understand death better then we do. They also all have and show their own way of grieving like we do. My little chihuahua was effected for weeks when we lost Bella. Also, when there was a disruption in the household. It is healing in itself to watch them heal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts