German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roxy demonstrated a heart of compassion and empathy on our walk tonight. Her first encounter with a man on a scooter ( handicap scooter)...he stopped to ask us about Roxy and she just sat there with the most heartwarming look of empathy that I have ever seen in a dog. She even had to sit until he was past and down the hill...almost like she needed to make sure he got across the walk safely. I was so so proud of her.
she is like that with my elderly mom who has trouble walking...she has only been there 2 times but both times she has gone right in like she knows my mom cant' handle rough ..and will just sit at her feet. When she gets up to walk ..it's almost like Roxy is watching her to make sure she makes it wherever she is going safely. I just love her....and this is 5 months old.

ok now onto the video ...this is just a short and not very good video of our walk tonight...without her sidekick ( my best friends dog)..they left for St. Louis today and I was afraid this wouldn't go well since Roxy likes to walk with Sophie...but she did pretty good...little trooper.. ..could you all just look at the way she walks though..is that a normal gait for a german shepherd...I'm kind of concerned with the way the back legs/hips go...now she just had her vet appoint. last week..the vet said her hips felt good so far ...perhaps x rays in a couple of months just to look but she couldn't feel anything that would worry her yet.

...now this little bit of video was after quite a ways...so I don't know if she was just getting tired and ready to go home...we were about done with the walk at this point.

any input would be great ...thank you

Roxy walking - YouTube

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Banjo went all gooey around kids. Ears back, squinty eyes(in case little fingers found his eyes) and such a goofy look overall. He just relaxed and let the curtain crawlers work him over. A friend of mine was going through chemo for Hodgekins and was bald, Banjo jumped up on the back of the couch(never ever did that) and proceeded to lick and whine worrying about his head. I'm spear bald so it wasn't the lack of hair. Banjo just bit my head. They know, the very best of social pack animals outta.

I could not see how the rear legs moved, saw a little wiggle but concrete makes dogs walk a bit funny anyways. Keeping toenails off the rough surface causes em to lift a bit different.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's amazing how they pick up on acting a certain way around a certain age group or disability or something. Makes me love this breed even more. thank you for taking a look at my video....I too am thinking she's just walking like a normal german shepherd but since i was taping I was behind her while my daughter walked her..so normally I wouldn't be seeing that angle.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Just saw your post, was researching empathy. I know that a lot of people say that dogs don't have human feelings but I wanted to research it after an event that happened yesterday. During our evening walk yesterday a woman was crying on a bench. Of course that made most of us humans avoid her like the plague, but Dexter who usually ignores everyone , insisted on going over to her and was very attentive. She looked up at him and he continued to nose her in the face and she started petting him. we sat there with her for awhile and we talked about how I acquired him, and how handsome he is lol. I didn't want to pry into why she was upset and she didn't offer and Afterwards we continued on our walk as usual. But it just got me wondering about dogs that seem to help their owners through pain, etc and if empathy was something that comes naturally to them.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Just saw your post, was researching empathy. I know that a lot of people say that dogs don't have human feelings but I wanted to research it after an event that happened yesterday. During our evening walk yesterday a woman was crying on a bench. Of course that made most of us humans avoid her like the plague, but Dexter who usually ignores everyone , insisted on going over to her and was very attentive. She looked up at him and he continued to nose her in the face and she started petting him. we sat there with her for awhile and we talked about how I acquired him, and how handsome he is lol. I didn't want to pry into why she was upset and she didn't offer and Afterwards we continued on our walk as usual. But it just got me wondering about dogs that seem to help their owners through pain, etc and if empathy was something that comes naturally to them.
This deserves a post of it's own <3

I couldn't see the video:(

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I am just now catching up here...I don't always catch follow ups. OMG maria...that brought a warmth to my heart. I will N E V E R understand how anybody things dogs/cats do NOT sense feelings/emotions. I can tell you right now our oldest farm cat that we rescued was a nurse in one of her former lives. That cat basically stays to herself unless she senses somebody doesn't feel good...and SHE Knows BEFORE us sometimes that we are not feeling good. My daughter was getting ready to miscarriage before we knew it Tabbi knew it...she wouldn't leave my daughter alone. When we are sad...she is the FIRST one to come up and want to nuzzle...when normally she is a loner. So people can take their "pets don't know emotions" theory and pretty much shove it.
Roxy is great about knowing how to respond with different people. When I take her to my 90' year old mothers house she puts on her kid gloves with her. She sits down by her and if she gets up to use her cane to walk..Roxy watches her to make sure she gets to where she is going and as soon as she is back down in her chair she goes and sits down right next to her. This is the same dog who is stranger leery ...and we only see my mom about 1 time every 2 weeks...but she KNOWS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts