German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tiger the cat is about 14 years old. (Taken in as a stray kitty oh so many years ago.)

Tiger is never left alone with any of the dogs other than my oldest, who doesn't care about bothering kitty. My middle will instigate, and my youngest tries hard to play with kitty. My son's dog Lexus also tries to play, but they have limited exposure and as soon as I tell Lexus NO KITTY, she completely backs away.

BUT TONIGHT my son showed up with Bailey's dad!?! , a Husky mix, and he was running loose in the yard with Lexus and Bailey. All was fine and well and BOOM, BAM!!!!!! They ALL GANGED UP ON KITTY. Kitty was swatting and trying to defend and thank GOD I was only ten feet away and rushed into it -- kitty RAN like crazy up the tree. I have NEVER seen this cat go up a tree.

It was a scary thing. The other dogs always run the yard and kitty is out there, too, with no problems! but add the Husky guy into it and they became a GANG and even Lexus, the calm, easy girl, got in on it. Those dogs would have most definitely killed my cat without intervention.

Kitty is fine, I checked him out.. no scrapes, blood, anything. He's okay. Scared me though. I guess it just goes to show you can't let your guard down.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
thats why Huskies or husky mixes dont generally do well around small animals. Too much prey drive ingrained in there. glad the furball is okay. I'd be strangling me a dog for that nonsense. My cats are a part of my family as well. not cool. and the cats were here before the dogs were so....

·
5,627 Posts
Glad it wasn't worse. I've noticed a definite difference between how the dogs interact with the cat inside vs outside. While they've gotten a hold of him and it sounded bad before, he just came out of it soaked. I think if they were really trying to hurt him, he'd have been worse off than wet and have some cuts or punctures.

Lesson learned: keep kitty inside when other dogs are over.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Better watch your own for awhile. Since they have now done that once, they might have liked it or at least put it in their minds that they can do that.

I'd be careful for awhile

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad it wasn't worse. I've noticed a definite difference between how the dogs interact with the cat inside vs outside. While they've gotten a hold of him and it sounded bad before, he just came out of it soaked. I think if they were really trying to hurt him, he'd have been worse off than wet and have some cuts or punctures.

Lesson learned: keep kitty inside when other dogs are over.
Kitty is an outside kitty about 50% of the time - at least until it gets cold. I didn't even realize he was outside and when my son pulled up and the Husky came a runnin, I was shocked. (Really long story, my son and his gf broke up, she kept the Husky, now they're back together.. sigh) The location of the kitty was not even on my mind. Me, Bailey and Lexus were playing frisbee and here comes Daddy Bentley.

Better watch your own for awhile. Since they have now done that once, they might have liked it or at least put it in their minds that they can do that.

I'd be careful for awhile
I certainly will. My son was there when it all happened - in fact, he rescued kitty from the tree that it was clinging to, about 8 feet up. We were all so surprised.

Something about Bentley set this thing off, there's no doubt. All the dogs are around the kitty in the house and the yard and they do little more than sniff, stick their butts in the air and try to play.. and get called off and it's over.

It's doubtful Bentley will spend much, if any time here, but I'll be watching especially close now with the others.

Poor puddy-tat. :mad::(

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I've heard that huskies/husky mixes have prey drive through the roof, which is why they aren't good with small animals or even small dogs. The only breeds I have ever had an issue with at the dog park have been boxers and huskies.

Glad your kitty is okay.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I had a Husky, female, her name was Kemo. Found her as a stray about 30 years ago. She killed a kitten on me.
Your crew sounds a little like mine. My oldest, the male doesn't really care about the cats. But the 2 girls have really high prey drive and those 2 I really have to watch. I would never trust the dogs 100% with the cats, even if they weren't trying to kill the cat, accidents happen.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
That's scary! Glad Tiger is safe and unharmed.

I had a 1.5 year old Husky/GSD mix for 4 months, he was actually great with cats. My kitten loved him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts