German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like if we are scared do you really think that sometimes dogs can pick it up? or if we are nervous they can tell or feel it?

IF so how? I always hear trainers say it but I never understood it.

·
Registered
31,708 Posts
Absolutely. I always know when someone is scared of Jax. She has her nose stuck right to them. When people are scared or stressed they give off pheromones. It's really as simple as that. A scent. :)

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i can figure out when someone is scared sometimes not always but sometimes but my dog does snot single those people out ever, even if they ran from her crying. But you can see when their hands shake around her.

·
Registered
874 Posts
oh yeah. Roxy watches how I react to almost every new situation and she reads that and behaves accordingly.
I LOVE storms...I seriously love them...so the first time it stormed she waited to see how I reacted to all the noise and now she's out on the deck watching them with me when they roll in.
She will bark when somebody comes to the door but then sits and waits to see how I react..if I'm ok..she's ok.

they DEF read you

·
Registered
424 Posts
Oh yeah. Dogs are definitely in-tune to our emotions. Mine always knew when I was sad and would come to me and lick my tears away and snuggle me.

The same goes for fear and anger. They can tell a dominant/strong person from a submissive/weak person. They read our body language and interpret it based on experience..

I'm sure there are tons of studies in regards to this subject but IMO, they definitely are in-tune to at least SOME emotions.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I believe they are in tune with some of our emotions. Especially right now. My 16 week pup knows I feel terrible right now because I'm sick. So she came over to me first thing in the morning and licked my face and laid down in my lap and hasn't moved in 30 minutes and she never does this.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Oh yes, I have no doubt, my dog is very aware of exactly what I feel. Dogs communicate with body language, they are very good at it. Dogs will understand by seeing another dogs body language whether the dog is friendly, scared, or aggressive. Since they are so good at communicating this way, they will communicate with people, as well. You may not even notice the subtle signal you are giving off, but your dog likely will, a raised eyebrow, a slight grimace, they see it all. I do believe they smell hormones given off as well, adrenaline ect. It is likely a combination of things, they are experts at communicating, now you may want to learn to 'speak dog'. There are some excellent books on the subject.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
as humans we shed 30,000 to 40,000 skin cells an hour, they can smell that, also the dog is a master at reading our body language

·
Registered
874 Posts
and contrary to belief..cats are also in tune. Our senior cat is a nurse. She knows when somebody doesn't feel good and she will lay right beside them when they are sick. She is not a "touchy feely" kind of cat so when she comes out to lay with you..you are sick..and you may not even know it yet.

another cat we have is just a comforter...she's the cat who knows when you need to talk and will come and lay down and give you the look like "spill your guts..I'll listen"

I think animals are in tune with human emotions more than most humans are with another human.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Because dogs and cats are intelligent. Actually, all animals, including us, the humans, share many things. A sound of distress, for instance, whether it was produced by a human, a bird, by a horse, by a cat or a dog would be adequately recognized. Our dogs and cats can compare their kind with ours, find similarity and draw conclusions. Mainly it happens through body language. When person is sick he doesn't move much, his facial muscles are contracted and tense, he sighs and groans. So does the dog when he is ill. When we feel nervous, we walk backwards and forwards doing senseless movements, our vocal signals are abrupt and high pitched, our eyes are wide open and the friequent change in our facial expressions make our face very alive. So is the dog's, when he is worried. But, dogs and cats are more sophisticated creatures than just being able of reading us and drawing a parallel between themselves and us. They are able to grasp the reason for us to be upset, happy, or nervous if they have enough of material to draw such a conclusion. A divorse situation, for instance, when the dogs take parts.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Dogs read people better than people read dogs,(unless you are really experienced trainer), they read your movements, posture, voice, inflection of voice, mannerisms, and emotions. I tell that to all recipients of private lessons from me. So yes your dog can read how you feel.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I think the dog just reads the persons body language. If people are fearful they will walk a different way than if they are confident. How they speak to everybody how they hold their chin etc will be different. Dogs perception is more tuned in to movement and body language than we humans are.

I just see cliffsons post and agree with that for sure.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Yes they can and they do. For instance, when I'm working with Midnite and he is reactive, his reaction depends on me..if I am nervous and tighten that leash he knows it, but if its loose he thinks everything is fine.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
LLombardo, I'm not disagreeing with you but I think the dog is still reading your body language and that is why it's senses your feelings/mood.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts