German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming everything works out and Kaiser gets to come with me next month (oh gosh, fingers crossed! Plus I'd have to come up with almost $400 to even get him in the apartment...sigh...), I'll be looking for things to do with him in Knoxville for a few months. He loves to swim and I'm sure he'd enjoy hiking as well. I can google the heck out of the city, but I'd rather hear recommendations of places to check out (and places to stay away from) from people who actually live (or have visited) there.

Soooo...ready, set, go! :)

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I'm just outside of Knoxville. What part of Knoxville will you be in? There really isn't a lot to do specifically doggy related. There are some doggy parks, but we also have the mountains, lots of hiking trails and lakes/rivers, but he would have to stay on leash in most places.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm...I'm not sure exactly (yet) but my guess is about halfway between the center of the city and Oak Ridge? Mountains/trails/lakes and rivers all sound great, even there are leash laws :) Anything within about a 30 min drive would be fine

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
hmm, the foothills are a little bit more of a drive..more like an hour or so lol. But, here is this City of Knoxville - Greenways This should help you find someplace nearby hopefully.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Right in your backyard: Cherokee National Forest - Home

Located in the Southern Appalachian Mountains of east Tennessee, the Cherokee National Forest is divided into northern and southern sections by the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The 650,000-acre forest is the largest tract of public land in Tennessee and adjoins other national forests in Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia.

Visitors come to explore the more than 600 miles of trails including 150 miles of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail, hundreds of miles of cold water streams, 7 whitewater rivers, 3 large lakes managed by the Tennessee Valley Authority, 11 congressionally designated Wilderness areas, 30 developed campgrounds, 45 developed day-use sites and the abundant populations of wildlife. The national forest provides habitat for 43 species of mammals, 154 species of fish, 55 species of amphibians and 262 species of birds.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Thats a nice place, but its over an hour from Knoxville :(

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately I will be in a vehicle provided to me (along with gas) so I can't really explain driving over an hour away during my off time (unless it was to drive home, which is a ridiculous distance away, lol). A half hour is reasonable, and can be paired with running errands or something similar :(

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I live in between Knoxville and Chattanooga, but I do drive to Knoxville sometimes because that is where my children go to the doctors:). I am trying to think of where ur talking about lol.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Oak Ridge, is there a power plant there or something, maybe by Wattsbar? Not sure...
Wattsbar dam/Nuclear Plant is well over an hour away from Knoxville. The plant in Oak Ridge is Oak Ridge National Laboratory and is managed by the United States Dept. of Energy. There is also the Y-12 National Security Complex facility that is also located in Oak Ridge near the Laboratory.

Oak Ridge is also known as the "secret city" (not so secret anymore lol) because of the plants production of enriched uranium during the Manhattan Project.

It'll depend on where you are in Knoxville that determines how far away from Oak Ridge you are. It could be as little as half an hour to an hour.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Oak Ridge is just west of Knoxville. One way to get there is to take Lenoir City exit, make a left at the light and keep on 73 and eventually you'll hit Oak Ridge.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okie doke, I think I'll be SE of Melton Hill Lake, N-ish of 40/75, and W of downtown Knoxville, if that helps any? Maybe a little closer to Farragut than Oak Ridge.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Okie doke, I think I'll be SE of Melton Hill Lake, N-ish of 40/75, and W of downtown Knoxville, if that helps any? Maybe a little closer to Farragut than Oak Ridge.

I know where you are talking about. You're startin' to get into my next of the woods. Have swam at Melton many times.

Check out Campbell Station Park in Farragut. Farragut, TN - Official Website There is a leash law, but its a really nice park and if I remember correct they have doggy water fountains and poop bag stations.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts