German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know there is a thread out there, and i looked for it but couldn't find it, so mods please move it accordingly.
I bought a program for my iPod, its called "pet first aid" and its actually very useful, even shows video for things like picking up a sick dog and cpr..
anyway, from the program here are some poisons, among most that were mentioned.
Alcohol - Causes intoxication, coma, and death

Antifreeze- contains ethylene gylcol. Lethal dose is 1/2 tsp/lb. Although the poison affects both the animals neurological and kidney function, the most severe damage usually involves the kidneys.

avocado- Ingestion usually leads to cardiovascular problems and can cause fluid accumulation around the heart and sever respiratory distress. Avocados contain a toxin known as persin and should be kept away from all pets

Chocolate- Contains substances called methylxanthines, which are found in cacao seeds, the fruit of the plant used to make coffee, and the nuts of an extract used in some sodas. Also contains caffeine and theobromine, is a toxic and affects the heart and nervous system. When ingested by pets, methylxanthines can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death. Note that darker chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate. White chocolate has the lowest level of methylxanthines, while baking chocolate contains the highest.

Christmas tree water- Christmas tree water treated with preservatives can cause an upset stomach. Water that is allowed to stagnate in tree stands could contain bacteria that, if ingested, could lead to nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Coffee/coffee grounds- same as chocolate

Grapes and raisins- Ingestion can harm the kidneys. It is not known how much a pet has to ingest to become ill, so keep them away from these items

Ice melting chemicals- contain calcium carbonate and irritates a dogs paw pads. Ingestion is gastrointestinal irritation. Symptoms of this include vomiting, diarrhea and drooling. More serious side effects depending on the level of ingestion include excessive thirst, depression, weakness in blood pressure, and disorientation. The most intense after a high level of ingestion are a decrease in muscle function, seizures, coma, and even death.

Macadamia nuts- Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems, and muscle.

Nicotine- Toxic level of nicotine in dogs is 5 mg/lb

Onions and garlic- Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Garlic is less toxic than onions.

Plants - www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/pants/

Prescription drugs- including hand soaps, toothpaste and sun blocks

Xylitol- Dogs ingesting items sweetened with xylitol could develop a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination, and seizures. Symptoms of xylitol poisoning could develop as much as 12 hours after ingestion

lethal dosage of chocolate
10lbs = 400mg = 8oz milk choc. = 1oz pure
20lbs = 900mg = 1lb = 2.5oz
30lbs = 1300mg = 2lbs = 3.25oz
40lbs = 1800mg =2.5lbs = 4.5oz
50lbs = 2250mg = 3lbs = 5.5oz
60lbs = 2700mg = 4lbs = 7oz
70lbs = 3400mg = 5lbs = 8.5oz

as most of you already know, 8oz is 1 cup... so imagine how much 2.5 oz is to a 3mo pup... about 1 bite


just thought i would share (c:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
i know there is a thread out there, and i looked for it but couldn't find it, so mods please move it accordingly.
I bought a program for my iPod, its called "pet first aid" and its actually very useful, even shows video for things like picking up a sick dog and cpr..
anyway, from the program here are some poisons, among most that were mentioned.
Alcohol - Causes intoxication, coma, and death

Antifreeze- contains ethylene gylcol. Lethal dose is 1/2 tsp/lb. Although the poison affects both the animals neurological and kidney function, the most severe damage usually involves the kidneys.

avocado- Ingestion usually leads to cardiovascular problems and can cause fluid accumulation around the heart and sever respiratory distress. Avocados contain a toxin known as persin and should be kept away from all pets

Chocolate- Contains substances called methylxanthines, which are found in cacao seeds, the fruit of the plant used to make coffee, and the nuts of an extract used in some sodas. Also contains caffeine and theobromine, is a toxic and affects the heart and nervous system. When ingested by pets, methylxanthines can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death. Note that darker chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate. White chocolate has the lowest level of methylxanthines, while baking chocolate contains the highest.

Christmas tree water- Christmas tree water treated with preservatives can cause an upset stomach. Water that is allowed to stagnate in tree stands could contain bacteria that, if ingested, could lead to nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Coffee/coffee grounds- same as chocolate

Grapes and raisins- Ingestion can harm the kidneys. It is not known how much a pet has to ingest to become ill, so keep them away from these items

Ice melting chemicals- contain calcium carbonate and irritates a dogs paw pads. Ingestion is gastrointestinal irritation. Symptoms of this include vomiting, diarrhea and drooling. More serious side effects depending on the level of ingestion include excessive thirst, depression, weakness in blood pressure, and disorientation. The most intense after a high level of ingestion are a decrease in muscle function, seizures, coma, and even death.

Macadamia nuts- Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems, and muscle.

Nicotine- Toxic level of nicotine in dogs is 5 mg/lb

Onions and garlic- Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Garlic is less toxic than onions.

Plants - www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/pants/

Prescription drugs- including hand soaps, toothpaste and sun blocks

Xylitol- Dogs ingesting items sweetened with xylitol could develop a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination, and seizures. Symptoms of xylitol poisoning could develop as much as 12 hours after ingestion

lethal dosage of chocolate
10lbs = 400mg = 8oz milk choc. = 1oz pure
20lbs = 900mg = 1lb = 2.5oz
30lbs = 1300mg = 2lbs = 3.25oz
40lbs = 1800mg =2.5lbs = 4.5oz
50lbs = 2250mg = 3lbs = 5.5oz
60lbs = 2700mg = 4lbs = 7oz
70lbs = 3400mg = 5lbs = 8.5oz

as most of you already know, 8oz is 1 cup... so imagine how much 2.5 oz is to a 3mo pup... about 1 bite


just thought i would share (c:
Good job. Maybe this should be a sticky. :)
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top