German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use a manual treadmill designed specifically for dogs? I'd like to invest in a carpet mill for those days when the weather makes it unsafe for outdoor activity, or when I'm too sick to exercise the dog(I get sick a lot), or just when he has extra energy and I don't have the time address that, like around finals. I'd also like it to help him get in better shape. He has a slow metabolism and puts on weight very easily, but I don't really have time to exercise him all day:p and I don't want to reduce his food anymore. I'd like to increase his exercise, but I'm also busy with school. It would only be used as a supplement for his normal exercise.

We do have an electric treadmill, but it's designed for humans and he's so tall that his stride is too long for all treadmills made for humans.

Has anyone ever used a carpet treadmill for dogs? Do you think they are worth it? There's quite a few brands out there, which one is the most bang for your buck?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Training Your Pit Bull For the Treadmill

has some info on carpet mills. I would join a pittie forum and ask there.
I was looking at the colby ones, but they don't give any measurements on the site. I just e-mailed them now. My biggest concerned is Chrono's back legs falling of the back, since they already do that now on our treadmill that is 58" long and 20" wide.

Even on the 'Big Dog' model for the grand carpet mill it's only 66" long and 15" wide. 66" is for the entire length of the treadmill, so the actual part my dog could run on would be even shorter.

I'd make it myself but I can't find any instructions on how to do it, plus whenever I do projects like this I always screw it up :crazy:. I'm considering asking one of these makers to custom make an extra long one, but that would probably get too expensive.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Have you tried him on the treadmill that you have? I have a regular one meant for people and it works great. She's a pretty long female at about 24.5" and she's never even come close to falling off.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried him on the treadmill that you have? I have a regular one meant for people and it works great. She's a pretty long female at about 24.5" and she's never even come close to falling off.
Yes I've tried, he can't go faster than a crawl without his back legs slipping off. He's 30" tall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts