German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today, my friend Bear calls me and says he's going to be where I live for a meeting at the local PD and says he wants to stop over and show me his new dog. He's a K9 officer from a city that's about 5 miles away from where we live. I told him to come over after the meeting.

First of all, a little bit about Bear. If you called Central Casting and asked for the prototype Marine, they'd send Bear. He's 6'8" and weighs about 300lbs. He's HUGE (and a former Marine Reserve). He is one of the few people I have to look up. (I'm 6'6" and weigh almost 300lbs)

He has his first K9 partner, K-Bar (go figure) who he's had since the pup was 12 weeks old. He just got on the street with him in August.

He comes over with K-Bar and I meet him at the door. I haven't seen Bear for almost a year. He's got his dog on a heel lead and I have Cass and Gunnar in the living room, in their "place." Bear comes in and grabs me in a huge bear hug and is squeezing the life out of me (like he always does). Gunnar is still in his place, but he's not too happy with someone hugging his daddy like that. Gunner gives a little growl and is leaning forward, staring.
This gets K-Bar leaning forward, ears up and alert, ready for action. Cass is laying in her place. ears up and wondering what's going on. It looks like a good old fashioned Mexican Standoff, all three dogs leaning forward, ready to spring into action. I started laughing because I've never seen such a site. I wish I had a picture of it. Looked the triangle of death.....LOL.
It probably doesn't come through in a description, but man did it look intense. It was funny for me because Gunnar has know Bear since he was a puppy and just loves the guy. I don't know if it was the amount of time since he's seen him or the other dog.

I'm glad no one sneezed or we might have had a big dog fight on our hands.
It's also nice to know that at least Gunnar has my back, Cass I'm not so sure about.

K-Bar is beautiful. 90lbs of handsome black GSD. My dream partner. I always wanted to have an all black partner. I also forgot to ask him where he got the dog. All I know is that he came from somewhere in the US and I want to say NC or SC, but I'm not sure about which state.

I never thought to get a picture, but I'll post one next time we meet and I think to take one.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
That's funny and I had a full visual. LOL I have had the "standoff" stare at my house.

Love the description about your friend too...especially since football coaches tell my son he is short at 6'2, makes since I guess.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Sounds like things were a little intense for a while, glad everyones dogs were obedient.

Good job! :)

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's funny and I had a full visual. LOL I have had the "standoff" stare at my house.

Love the description about your friend too...especially since football coaches tell my son he is short at 6'2, makes since I guess.
We've been friends for a long time. I used to hate it when we'd end up at use of force training together because we always got paired up. I don't consider myself a wimp, but he used to beat the crap out of me. And he always had a smile on his face while he was doing it. He always said that when he got paired with other people, he had to take it easy on them. I guess I wasn't "other people".

That's ok, I'm sure he'll get his when he has to wear a bite suit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts