German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are starting to gather equipment to start day hikes (and geocaching) when the weather warms up. We plan on bringing Zeke along with our family. Does anyone have a pack that they'd recommend? Something that if balanced correctly (I'd like him to carry his own supplies) would be super-comfortable and not rub. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
We have one made by Ruff wear that fits perfectly and has big pockets

·
Super Moderator
32,429 Posts
Ruffwear Approach: http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...ures/150315-my-new-favorite-picture-halo.html

It's very well made and very stable. Retail is around $75, but I bought mine online at Pet Supplies: Dog, Cat, Bird, Reptile, Fish, Poultry, Ferret, Small Animal for around $60.

You should wait until he's older to carry any weight, a year and a half or so. I bought Halo's pack a few months prior to that and had her wear it empty for awhile, and then I added weight slowly. Platypus water bottles are great for the packs, they're washable and refillable, and they roll up to practically nothing when empty. They're flexible and somewhat flat, perfect for a backpack.

You might want to wait until he's a bit older to buy it too, so he doesn't outgrow it before he can start using it to carry anything.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Yes, for now you can buy one but he needs to be carrying it empty.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts