German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5yo gsd that was recently brought inside. She’s been an outside dog almost all her life. It’s probably been about a week an a half since we’ve brought her in. I bathed her when we first brought her in. The first couple days were fine. Then she started not eating, (still drinks water) her stomach was making noises and she threw up about 3 Times. (I was thinking hookworms) That stopped after 2 days. But she still wont eat.( maybe a handful every other day) I looked in her mouth the best I could, she won’t really let me, and her canines look like the tips are broken off. So I put water in her food yesterday to make it soft, thought it was her teeth. She ate it, but I had to coax her too. Hasn’t ate it today, but she might not be hungry yet. Also a couple days ago she developed a large hotspot on her butt. I’ve been putting bag balm on it, so it’s healing. I was told she’s had them before. Taking her to the vet soon, just curious what everyone thinks

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm guessing she was someone else's outside dog.....now she's yours and more of a house dog ?....are u feeding the same food she's been used to ? What's she like other than eating...seem happy...active...playful.... or is she lethargic? what color are her gums (if she'll let you look in her mouth) they should be nice and pink-not lighter faded looking....bad teeth (by themselves) can put them off their food depending on the dog.....but parasites would be the first thing that comes to my mind.... since she was a outside dog with maybe limited or no vet care....I could "guess" all day but she really should see a vet...better sooner then later IMO

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Have you tried feeding her outside?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve tried feeding her outside, nothing. tonight i broke up some treats over her food and she ate about half. It’s the same food she’s always had. She was kept on a chain nearly all her life, just occasionally let off to try and get her to run around. She never would though, she’d just sit there. So since I’ve brought her in she just lays around, and will follow me around the house. I can tell she likes it in here, when I let her out to go to the bathroom, she’ll go then come straight back to the door to come back in.(stool looks normal also) Gums from what I can see look dark pink.

·
Registered
875 Posts
At this point after reading your last post....I'd try...NOT just one but a few different brands and flavors of kibble......just a very small amount at a time just to see if she prefers the taste or smell of one over the other....if she likes a particular flavor a slow transition mixing the old kibble with the new until she's eating 100% new flavor kibble.

On the other hand her going off her food may simply be related to her "new" life as a inside house dog...some dogs go off their food with any change of their normal routine.....reading your post she clearly doesn't know how to act when off the chain....dogs that have been "rescued" from a 24/7 life on a chain in some cases.. can take a while to adjust to their "new" life.....once she realizes she's not going back on the chain-she may return to a normal eating pattern....reading her story is heart breaking for me..I hope she comes out of it and starts enjoying her "new" life.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Agreed with Shane. I'd try and change the kibble to see if the dog was bored, being picky or physically wrong with her.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
You may have already tried this, but several times when my dogs have been off their food due to some illness, etc, I've sat on the floor with them and tried hand feeding them for a day or two. It would always seem to get them going again.

A thorough checkup with a vet sounds like the best plan plan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts