German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is 9, almost 10. Ever since she was brought home, she eats pretty weird. We have her bowl of food and water in the kitchen and our family room is just the next room with no door, just the opening. EVERY single time she gets a new bowl a food, she takes the first mouthful out into the family room, eats it on the carpet, and then goes back and eats the rest of the bowl normally. To this day we still think it's funny, haha. Maybe OCD or a habit she's had since she was a puppy. What do you think?

·
Registered
208 Posts
thats odd... my puppy Kola does that... we have her feeding in the crate...
she takes a mouthful out.. and takes it to the computer/study room eats it... and then goes back into the crate and finishes the rest of it....

she is about 8 1/2 weeks old. and a gsd/husky mix.. hmm...

wonder if its a GSD thing, because my brother's GSD did it, and his dog is K-9 unit..

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats odd... my puppy Kola does that... we have her feeding in the crate...
she takes a mouthful out.. and takes it to the computer/study room eats it... and then goes back into the crate and finishes the rest of it....

she is about 8 1/2 weeks old. and a gsd/husky mix.. hmm...

wonder if its a GSD thing, because my brother's GSD did it, and his dog is K-9 unit..

Wow really?? I thought mine was the only one. At least we know there's nothing wrong with them haha.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Molly is fed RAW so I give it to her outside and everytime she takes a mouthful and will walk onto the grass, flop down and eat! Then she walks back to the pavers and finishes the rest of her meal. :)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Mine likes to take hers out and spread it around a little. I think it's easier for them to eat that way, they have more control and can better see what they are eating. A bowl of kibble is a little hard to handle.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
That is so weird. Gunnar used to take a couple of mouthfulls out of his bowl, come into the living room, drop them and eat them. Then he'd go back in the kitchen and finish the rest of his food.
That was when we fed Nutro. Several weeks ago, we switched to TOTW Wetlands and he eats everything over his bowl.

Nutro is bigger chunks and the TOTW is a lot smaller.
Maybe all of our dogs have a touch of OCD.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
If the food is new and interesting, they gobble it up. When it's the same old thing they are more casual. Maybe they take it to where you are to be near you. As far as OCD is concerned, I took part in a study that indicated my dog does not have it.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
the food movement thing I have read in a book is because as wild dogs(ancestors) they would catch their food and move it to a safe place to protect it from other predators, same as when dogs circle around before they lay down, it said this is from wild dogs having to push the dirt away before laying down in ancient times so they stuck inborn behavior. Thats what I read anyways. lol

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine likes to take hers out and spread it around a little. I think it's easier for them to eat that way, they have more control and can better see what they are eating. A bowl of kibble is a little hard to handle.
True, it's like us eating a bowl of cereal with no hands haha. But Crystal only does it with the first mouthful.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is so weird. Gunnar used to take a couple of mouthfulls out of his bowl, come into the living room, drop them and eat them. Then he'd go back in the kitchen and finish the rest of his food.
That was when we fed Nutro. Several weeks ago, we switched to TOTW Wetlands and he eats everything over his bowl.

Nutro is bigger chunks and the TOTW is a lot smaller.
Maybe all of our dogs have a touch of OCD.

It seems like alot of Shepherds do it. I didn't realize so many did it until I posted this here. Weird.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the food movement thing I have read in a book is because as wild dogs(ancestors) they would catch their food and move it to a safe place to protect it from other predators, same as when dogs circle around before they lay down, it said this is from wild dogs having to push the dirt away before laying down in ancient times so they stuck inborn behavior. Thats what I read anyways. lol

Wow I never thought of the circling. I just thought it was a thing they do, I never thought much of it. And the food moving I heard that somewhere too, but still I don't get why she only does it with the FIRST mouthful.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
This is an ancestral trait. The wolf will down their prey, take a piece of the meal and walk away as to keep pack mates from stealing their share. I learned this on Discover Channel.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is an ancestral trait. The wolf will down their prey, take a piece of the meal and walk away as to keep pack mates from stealing their share. I learned this on Discover Channel.
That makes sense. Maybe it was similar when she was a puppy with the rest of her brothers and sisters. Maybe when they got a bowl of food, she had to grab what she could before the rest of them pushed her out of the way.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Our last gsd used to take her food bowl to another place and lay down and eat it with her back to us--or the house if she ate outside. She ALWAYS moved her bowl. Sometimes she would spill some along the way and she'd go back to eat it or the birds would get it. She had lots of feathered friends

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Our last gsd used to take her food bowl to another place and lay down and eat it with her back to us--or the house if she ate outside. She ALWAYS moved her bowl. Sometimes she would spill some along the way and she'd go back to eat it or the birds would get it. She had lots of feathered friends

haha it's funny what they do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts