German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you handle this? Dog will play tug with me and do bite wedge shows ton of drive with me. But when you try to get her engaged with another person she does not want to tug or bite with anyone else. Looking for some help here.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Did they tell you to stop for a while and see if wakes up a little bit , later? Part of it is going to have to be the skill of the helper and part of it will be your handling. Something I've seen is a lot of people spent so much time teaching the puppy to greet everyone real nice, that asking them to engage a helper is counter to all that. You can try back tying to remove any timing issues you may have so the helper can focus on her a little better. Maybe see if you can get her to chase a rag with someone she know's and is comfortable with while you hold her back. Try and tap into any prey drive she has.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried back tying will engage a little bit with helper. I will even try back tied when with group training and she doesn't show to much interest and I'mtryingmyself to get her to tug. But if it's just me and her she is a beast.

·
Super Moderator
4,675 Posts
the only other thing I can think of is to have your dog watch other dogs practice.

My gal-dog has no interest in taking on full grown men, even though they ran like scared little girls even if she looked at them. She wasn't buying it.
I have read that for some, they learn by watching other dogs, Can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have her watch as we are training other dogs. Still does not help much. I'm puzzled by the whole thing.

·
Super Moderator
4,675 Posts
let's hope someone else has ideas then I dropped IGP with my gal-dog and switched to Man-trailing. If she doesn't enjoy the game of using helpers like a big tug toy, in the end I think we'd both resent the sport. It took a few classes for her to learn what man-trailing is all about but now she loves it. Interestingly, if my gal finds her person, she comes to me for the reward most of the time, be it food or toys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts