German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have 6 1/2 months old female. She weighs around 20kg (44lbs). She looks slim to me, is this normal weight? Anyone remember the weight of their GSD at that age?

·
Super Moderator
3,602 Posts
Can you post pics from the side and above? GSDs come in many sizes. Being the appropriate weight has everything to do with the individual dog and little to do with a chart.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Hello, I have 6 1/2 months old female. She weighs around 20kg (44lbs). She looks slim to me, is this normal weight? Anyone remember the weight of their GSD at that age?
Judy. No. Not exactly, at that age.

I can tell you that my girl, Raina, will be 1 y/o on 9/20 and will barely tip the scale at 45 lbs ..... which is perfect for me.

Her coat is glossy, black and soft as silk. Her muscle development in her shoulders, forechest and thighs is really coming in nicely. She’s agile as can be and runs like the wind.

She’s just on the small side.

I’m sure she’ll max out at around 62-64 lbs when she hits 3ish y/o.

One of my other females, Heidi, never got larger than 62 lbs and was structurally a lot like my Raina. Raina is just taller.

Regardless, just try to consider the overall structure of your dog.

As a rule of thumb, it’s perfectly ok to see your dogs ribs, it’s never ok to see it’s backbone.

Best of luck to you and your pup!

Here’s my Raina. She was spayed, pexy’d and chipped 12 days ago. Vet’s scale read 45 lbs.

E5009BAF-6BB0-4CEB-9A74-8D8AAB3C9C13.png

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Understood, but no - I’m getting tired of my bride reminding me every day that ..... “she’s such a little thing”.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Judy. No. Not exactly, at that age.

I can tell you that my girl, Raina, will be 1 y/o on 9/20 and will barely tip the scale at 45 lbs ..... which is perfect for me.

Her coat is glossy, black and soft as silk. Her muscle development in her shoulders, forechest and thighs is really coming in nicely. She’s agile as can be and runs like the wind.

She’s just on the small side.

I’m sure she’ll max out at around 62-64 lbs when she hits 3ish y/o.

One of my other females, Heidi, never got larger than 62 lbs and was structurally a lot like my Raina. Raina is just taller.

Regardless, just try to consider the overall structure of your dog.

As a rule of thumb, it’s perfectly ok to see your dogs ribs, it’s never ok to see it’s backbone.

Best of luck to you and your pup!

Here’s my Raina. She was spayed, pexy’d and chipped 12 days ago. Vet’s scale read 45 lbs.

View attachment 563386
Thank you, Raina is beautiful !

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Judy.

I think she looks great.

Again, best of luck w her!

·
Super Moderator
3,602 Posts
Reactions: Damicodric

·
Super Moderator
32,343 Posts
I was weighing Cava monthly from the time she came home at 4-1/2 months old up until she was two. At 6 months old she was 47.4 pounds. Halo was 46.5 pounds at the same age. Your girl looks great, I wouldn't worry about her weight at all. Numbers on the scale don't mean much, a more important indicator is her overall condition. If you run your hand down her side and can easily feel every rib, you might want to increase her food slightly. If not, she's getting the right amount of food for now.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Her weight looks great. She end up being what she ends up being but keep her lean not heavier for the sake of what the scale says

1 - 13 of 13 Posts