German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any of these? I have two large dogs, and one kinda medium dog....And they all go to the bathroom in the backyard, as i don't do much walking with them right now, because of the cold...So my yard is filled with poop. We use to pick it up and throw it in a trash can, but man that was just plain ridiculous and disgusting in the summertime...So i have been looking around and found this one....please any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pet Waste Removal: Doggie Dooley In-Ground Pet Waste Digester Systems

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had one for a Great Dane that we had and never could get it to work. I think maybe it was because our ground was too soft because when I put water in it, the water drained out in no time. It has to stay somewhat wet in there for it to work correctly, so mine never worked and would gag you any time it was opened. I'm not saying it doesn't work, it just didn't work for our yard.

·
Registered
135 Posts
We have not tried one, but have the same problem as you. Every Spring I have to spend hours cleaning up what had been frozen under the snow all Winter. Disgusting! The rest of the year I go out each day with a bucket lined with a grocery store plastic bag. I scoop up everything & close the bag up tight. I keep the bags outside, out of sight, until trash pick-up day. Then I throw them in with our other trash & away it goes.
We've never tried the waste systems as we heard they don't work well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried one of those once - you didn't even have to open it for the smell to knock you over. We used the digester just like it said but the area still had a constant sewage smell. We do live in a very hot area so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

I will say that switching to raw 7 years ago solved a lot of the "aroma" issues :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think i am going to try one...I just hate the fact that it could potenially not work...But i have to try something... We live in southern illinois, so the weather well...they say if you don't know what the weather is going to be from 1 day to the next, come here...

I have a friend that i work with and she said he sister n law had one years ago for her labs and it worked great, so i am just torn...Any other advice or suggestions would be wonderful.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
it's like any septic system, from what I've heard. The ground can't be too dry, but not too wet either. In the right conditions, I'm sure that they work great.

·
Registered
889 Posts
We had one of those. We had the largest one and we bought it from the same place. With two GSD's I found that it never kept up well enough. It worked for awhile, but soon we would be putting it in faster than it was going away. Never found that it smelled unless the lid was open.

You do need to add water and the digester on a regular basis so if you decide to get it, make sure you have a water source close by. Also it will only work in warm weather.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I built one but haven't used it yet, so I can't really say how well it works. But if you want to try to make one cheaper or free you can give it a try. I had a large heavy plastic bucket with a screw on lid--larger than 5 gallons, probably about 2 feet tall and 18" across.

Drill holes all around the bottom and the sides up about a foot or so -- lots of them, pretend you are making a giant colander.
Dig a hole about a foot deeper and a 4-5" around bigger than needed to set the bucket in, leaving the top where the lid screws on just about the ground.

Drill holes in your bucket all around the bottom and the sides up about a foot or so -- lots of them, pretend you are making a giant colander.

Add about a foot of gravel/rock in the bottom of your hole -- just get your bucket leveled up and stable with the lid part above ground. Back fill around the bucket with rocks for the bottom 12 - 18" then you can finish off with dirt, packing it in tightly.

Stick a hose in there and fill with water, add poop and septic tank stuff like Rid-X.

I have heard they work fairly well during the spring, summer and fall. Since we are both in a freezing climate, forget winter. I don't pooper scoop the snow anyway. I figured since I could build it free and just have to buy Rid-X it was worth a shot.

I have two dogs, a small yard, and a whole winters worth of poo. As soon as the snow melts I plan to fill 'er up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts