German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm cheap.

I'm having a real problem paying $25.00 plus taxes to take my dog to a self service dog wash. Last time I washed her was in the late fall, outside in my driveway, with warm running water. A nail trim is $12.50 additional.

Yes, they provide the shampoo, conditioner, water, only two towels, and dog dryer. And, I would not have to clean up the mess. That is a big plus, but still I'm having a tough time justifiing $25.00 + for an hour and I do all the work.

How much do you pay for self serve dog washes?

·
Registered
616 Posts
i didnt know there was such a place:p

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I'm the self serve. I'm free! Freeze my butt off sometime, but it's gotta be done. There aren't any self serve places near me.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
We go to Petco and the self service there is $13.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I'm the self serve. I'm free! Freeze my butt off sometime, but it's gotta be done.
You can't do that in the north. This person is in Canada. I'm in Indiana and you can't even get away with an outdoor bath from fall to spring. Way too cold.

To the OP - we have several options here. Pet supplies plus, specks pet supply, and petco all charge $12 and provide everything. The petco is hard for me to get to lately because the groom shop seems to always close by 6 or 7 in the evening, and it's hard to get in during the day if they have a lot of grooms, so I've been using the other places.

There is one small local high end petstore that has nice tubs, charges $18 or $20 (can't remember) but they have the water sprayer with shampoo already in it and it SUCKS. You get almost no soap no matter how long to run it. There is also no wall between tubs, and if someone is in the other tub you spray them and they spray you when you are using the force dryer (which isn't that strong there anyway, but strong enough to blow fur and water all over the persno next to you).

Specks (I don't know if that's a local chain or not) always gives me a discount because I take 2 at a time, so I end up paying $20 for two GSD's.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
You can't do that in the north. This person is in Canada. I'm in Indiana and you can't even get away with an outdoor bath from fall to spring. Way too cold.
That might be why they don't offer self serve down south. Really isn't a need for it.

·
Super Moderator
32,031 Posts
We pay $11.00 which is for everything except the dryer, you hand dry with the provided towels. After 10 baths you get one free.

The best part is that it's right in the parking lot of the off leash park we go to, which gets VERY muddy in the winter when it rains a lot, plus the dogs often swim in the bay. You can either make an appointment in advance, or when you show up at the park before your walk, or you wait for a spot between appointments on a walk-in basis.

They also do nail trims, but we do that ourselves, at home with a dremel. I'm not sure what they charge, but it's a lot less than our vet charges.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Ours are $10 for 50lbs + and $8 for under 50lbs. This includes whatever shampoo/conditioner you want (they have about two dozen open bottles to choose from), a private washing station, blow drying, and two towels (which I usually use for myself since I blow dry my dogs). We get our 13th bath free. The store cleans up, but I generally spray everything down and remove the dog hair because I feel weird leaving such a mess. No appointment needed, but skunked dogs can only go in from 7-9pm.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
for that i'd rather just take them to the groomer.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Having a GSD get a simple bath/blowdry/brush which usually comes with nails and ears (I do those myself anyway) is $40 - $50 here....plus a tip which is typically expected.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I cant bathe Sinister myself (too hairy, to wet, too big, he hates bath time)

So I finally got the courage to take him to the groomer (long story, I'm crazy) :crazy:

It cost me $50 for them to wash/dry/brush/clean ears/clip nails.

We both did great! :wild:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
We have 3 tubs (easy breed step up) at the dog park for self-serve grooming. All the shampoo/conditioner, brushes/scissors(big selection), towels, dryer use, nail clippers, tear stain remover, ear cleaner, and bows that you can use for $15 for a large dog if you're not a member, and $10 for a medium/small if you're not a member. $10 for a large if you're a member, $7 for a small/medium. I trim or dremel nails on saturdays for $6/nonmember or $5 member.

$25 + $12 is rediculous, imo. We are a very upscale, expensive establishment in a larger city and we don't charge that kind of rediculousness.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
We have a Pet Depot in our area that charges $16.00 for self serve. It used to be $12.00, but keeps going up. Price includes the large tub with ramp, two towels, dryer, paper towels & rubber apron for the human. We must provide shampoo, conditioner, etc.

I have taken rescues there, but never my own dog. I'm thinking about it, though, because she really needs a bath. I'm pretty sure she won't like it.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
That might be why they don't offer self serve down south. Really isn't a need for it.
they offer it here in AR. It is warm enough to do outside most of the winter, but not all.

The local place charges $10; I don't think our petco offers it

·
Registered
445 Posts
That is WAY Too much! For a self serve I pay 12.00 dollars and get unlimited towels! Lol. If I had a home I would wash my own dogs outside but I only have an apartment so I can't do that and they're too big to put in the tub.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know why we pay so much here. It would end up being $28.25 just for the self serve bath. $15.00 would be more reasonable.

I'm waiting for a warmer day. She is not that dirty anyway, but I love how she feels after a bath.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts