German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know why Animal Control personnel are so oblivious when they say something like that. I hear stories all the time and the report saying that the dog was aggressive when they tried to take him out of the home. Do they not know that a GSD, or any protective breed for that matter is going to defend their territory against a strainger? Do they feel that it will make the community feel safer knowing that they put an "aggressive" dog down? I just don't understand. I feel that there should be a behaviorist consult with dogs that have bit people to understand why the incident occured, but to call all dogs "aggressive" when they defend their territory is just moronic to me.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
the reason you hear that is because AC isnt always the brightest. They're taught the methods to catch a dog. Not understand dogs they encounter. What far too many people fail to realize is that a dog, no matter the breed, will defend its territory as it deems is necessary and for that they're considered a problem. Its all boils down to ignorance.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Animal control tends to be a bunch of busy body know-it-alls that don't even necessarily like animals. It's not all like "Animal Cops". I think you'd be surprised at the number of people that get caught up in animal control and then are found not guilty (after their dogs are destroyed).

Of course I'm speaking in generalities but I tend to take a wide pah around AC and do not view them as friends.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Animal control tends to be a bunch of busy body know-it-alls that don't even necessarily like animals. It's not all like "Animal Cops". I think you'd be surprised at the number of people that get caught up in animal control and then are found not guilty (after their dogs are destroyed).

Of course I'm speaking in generalities but I tend to take a wide pah around AC and do not view them as friends.

pretty much yeah. a lot of times AC isnt and shouldnt be trusted. we've heard numerous stories on this board about how AC was called numerous times about a problematic animal and never bothered to show up. And its not even a matter of just one person calling. its numerous people who call and AC never shows up and if they do (by some miracle) they still do a crappy job and they treat people like poo.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I totally agree!

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Well, look at what the AC's have to deal with...no funding, then going to complaint homes without knowing what they will be dealing with(between the loser people and the animals) so the worse case scenario is in their minds.
I know one of my dogs would bite anyone that came inside(that she didn't know and if we weren't at home) so would probably be shot on sight.
My county AC is underfunded has a huge area to cover and is a pretty poverty locale. Luckily we don't hear of them using their "power" to kill dogs and usually are saving way more than euth'ing at the county shelter. They are rescue friendly and the shelter is fairly clean.

I pulled a GSD that was seized due to neglect. His collar was a calf collar and was so old and worn, it was obvious the dog was tied out his entire life(due to his powerful pulling). The shelter saw he had potential and let us rescue him, instead of assuming he was aggressive because he was a tie out.
Give them some slack, they see horrors and have to assume the worst, because they usually don't get friendly dogs that are complained about....

·
Registered
490 Posts
I had a run-in with AC the other day..

Landloard adopted a dog. Dog wasn't fit for them, so they found her a new home, a few blocks down the way. Well the guy who adopted her, he had a heart attack. Dog was out in back yard, got loose after a day and was cought by AC.

They came up, guy asks:
(BTW, Arlo was at the vet at the time, locked up with Parvo treatment- talked to em on the phone about 20min prior, who is located about 40 minutes away)

AC: Where's your dog at?
Me: Don't worry about it. Why?
AC: Where is she? It's a simple question. (She? It's a he)
Me: Don't worry about it. I know where he is, now you tell me why you want to know.
AC: Look I don't have time for games. You want to know where your dog is??
Me: You want to get off my lawn. I have a driveway you can stand on.
AC: She's in the back of my truck. Now we are going to put her down. You're an unfit owner.
Me: And you're an idiot. Let me see "my dog".
AC- Walks to the back of his truck, opens the cage. It was the landlords adopted dog.
Me: You're an idiot. Did I mention that? Anyway, the previous owner lives down the street there. This is her home, however we rent. She lives down the street.
AC: This is your dog. She is reg. to your address.
Me: No. Look, it's not hard to figure out. I know where my dog is. And I just told you the owner lives down the street.
AC: The dog is registered to your house. XXXX XXXXXXX St. right?
Me: Yep that's my address. However that's not our dog. Its the landlords old dog. Down the street.
AC: Okay who's dog?
Me: See the white work van? There you go. Need a map?
AC: So who's dog is it again? This is the registered address.
Me: Wow. -Walked away.

Agreed. Not the brightest. And this guy was rude as all get out. I did have fun toying with him though :)

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Adam instead of being difficult you could have just said my dog is at the vet and then verified it. The dog they had was registered to your address. A mistake on the landlords part but how would the AC know that. People in trouble lie all the time. How was AC to know that you weren't just one of those people.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Adam instead of being difficult you could have just said my dog is at the vet and then verified it. The dog they had was registered to your address. A mistake on the landlords part but how would the AC know that. People in trouble lie all the time. How was AC to know that you weren't just one of those people.

while i agree with you, i also want to point out that Denver AC are not known for their intelligence whether people cooperate with them or not. Denver AC are the ones who happily label ALL dogs with floppy ears or cropped (dobermans) as pit bulls to be put down. Not joking either. You could have a black lab at the end of your leash and if AC is feeling squirrely and see you, they'll claim your dog to be a pit bull, confiscate it and euthanize on scene. No one would argue with them on it either because of that stupid ban. Denver is flat out paranoid and most would happily go with whatever AC says and does no questions asked.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I know. But this guy was rude beyond a-hole status. I can be the nicest guy you've ever met. Or I can be the meanest guy you've met. But stepping onto my lawn instead of the pathway, cutting me off in my converstation, being aggressive, and his tone of voice - I rolled with it, and had my fun. I already knew what dog he was talking about. I heared her crying/barking in the back of the truck and I've heared her many times before.

Guy was just something else. This wasn't my first official run-in with the guy. I met him once in the parking lot when he refused to move his truck to let me out of my parking space because he needed to "Finish my conversation" with someone :rolleyes: So I got in his truck, pulled it forward then got in my truck and left. He wasn't too happy about that.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I think about this the same way that I think about people complaining about regular cops.

Become one and fix the problem. If it means as much as people say they would take the pay cut.

I have never heard of an auxiliary animal control officer but if you ask the right people it might be possible. After dealing with the BYBs, chain 'em out backs, and the fight'ems you might understand the problems facing the officers and you might have a few ideas that they can use.

The exchange described with the dog at the wrong address sounds like he repeated questions to see if the answers would change. Like the way officers will almost always ask for your phone number several times in a conversation to see it you forget what you told them (in case you made up the number). The questions also sounded like he was ensuring he got a direct answer that he could later use in court if the exchange was with a unfit owner.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I agree
but what happened to the dog, did someone help the guy who had a heart attack with getting his dog back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts