German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people I know were discussing whether or not you could get away from a dog attacking you.
(Not including a smaller dog lol like a poodle or something)
A police dog trained to attck or just a dog whos aggressive.
Could you get away from one? ( not asking YOU personally)
Have you heard of someone fighting a dog off them?

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Yes, some people can esp. if given a small stick/club.

My ScH decao once said that given an 18" club of his choice he could "take" any trained dog.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
This may be urban legend, but I heard the reason for the spiked collars was because if you get your hands around the dog's throat, you can choke it to death.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Nobody is going to outrun one...
out fight maybe, if lucky, especially with a weapon(club).
But not something you can really train for, as it's likely to
get bloody and/or fatal for one or both.

A decoy who has learned to dance with dogs, versus same guy with a bare arm is still apples and oranges, and even he would rather not unless armed, and then would rather not if sane.

people say a lot of things...

·
Registered
650 Posts
A dog that was trained to bite, like a PPD, K-9 or SchH dog, probably not. They're trained to grab onto a limb with a full bite, hold on tight, and not let go!

When I did helper work for SchH, those dogs were strong, and their grips were powerful. I can't imagine being able to get out of that if a dog was locked on and I didn't have a bite sleeve or suit on. Okay, maybe if you went so far as to gouge out the dog's eyes or something, but that's not a scenario I'd want to be in. And even then...some of those dogs were so intense they probably would've held on anyway.

·
Registered
31,829 Posts
I think we need to remember that full blown attacks by dogs are really rare. Usually the dog is attached to a leash and person, and though you may be bitten once or twice, usually the person can pull their dog away.

Generally, dogs that are not leashed to people do not go around attacking strangers. It is uncommon. Even if a dog threatens, it usually has a range where it is protecting and if you move out of its territory it stops. Usually you will see the snarling dog before you get there and can move in a different direction. Being a cyclist, I have heard the dogs toenails chasing me down the road (out in the country) they would chase, some bark, some did not, but they would reach a place on the road and turn back.

Could I take on a police dog without any weapon, probably not, not if it was already attacking. If it was thinking about it, I think I could be non-threatening and not stare the dog down. In forty years it has not happened. A police dog went after my dog, but never me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I believe I could fight for my life and win over a 90 lb. dog.
I don't freak out at the sight of blood (mine or any other) and I've been injured and know pain (though I have not given birth), plus I am strong and able-bodied.

I have a strategy. Depending on where the dog has hold of me, I will grab him by anything I can such as fur, neck, ears, legs and pick him up as high as I can slamming him down as hard as I can, as many times as is necessary. Alternatively, swing him around and break his back on a tree or corner of a wall or building.

The mouth is the lethal part of the dog. I can take the kicking, scratching or whatever because I won't likely die from that. I expect to be injured if attacked. I hope it never comes to the point of having to prove this picture in my mind.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
During my years of evaluating dogs in shelters, I have only seen two that were truly aggressive enough to attack and not just bluff charge. One was a Labrador and the other was some sort of mix of a mix of a mix.

Anyway, it was unbelievable how quickly these dogs could move. There is no way a person could have gotten away, given how quick they were. And once they hit you, I could see them being strong enough to knock someone down.
Sheilah

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
For a human to "win" an encounter with a canine, that human needs to protect their throat/neck, face (eyes mainly) and their core (gut/kidneys etc..). Offering up a sacrifical limb to keep the dogs jaws busy would tip the balance in the favor of the human. If a dog of the stature of a GSD got a neck-hold or face, human probably won't come out alive.

I was hunted by a pack of 4 feral dogs a few years ago while working (surveyor). I had seperated from my crew looking for a distant property corner and the pack stalked me for a short while and finally closed in when I was about 300 yards from my crew. I backed up to a tree, pulled out my machette and swung for the fences. They knew how to hunt in a pack too, one would try and lure me from my tree so the others could sneak in from behind. I was swinging like a windmill and screaming my head off for my crew. Once one of my guys showed up the pack melted back into the woods. Saw thema few more times as we completed the job but when we humans were grouped they only watched from a good distance. I called A/C and told them of the encounter. A/C said that there had been some livestock maulings/killings in the area...spooky stuff.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally Posted By: L_DanI believe I could fight for my life and win over a 90 lb. dog.
I don't freak out at the sight of blood (mine or any other) and I've been injured and know pain (though I have not given birth), plus I am strong and able-bodied.

I have a strategy. Depending on where the dog has hold of me, I will grab him by anything I can such as fur, neck, ears, legs and pick him up as high as I can slamming him down as hard as I can, as many times as is necessary. Alternatively, swing him around and break his back on a tree or corner of a wall or building.

The mouth is the lethal part of the dog. I can take the kicking, scratching or whatever because I won't likely die from that. I expect to be injured if attacked. I hope it never comes to the point of having to prove this picture in my mind.
I do not think you would win in a police dog situation.
Those dogs move very very fast & are trained not to let go.
But mmmm if you think you coud get away from one... ok

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally Posted By: bremboFor a human to "win" an encounter with a canine, that human needs to protect their throat/neck, face (eyes mainly) and their core (gut/kidneys etc..). Offering up a sacrifical limb to keep the dogs jaws busy would tip the balance in the favor of the human. If a dog of the stature of a GSD got a neck-hold or face, human probably won't come out alive.

I was hunted by a pack of 4 feral dogs a few years ago while working (surveyor). I had seperated from my crew looking for a distant property corner and the pack stalked me for a short while and finally closed in when I was about 300 yards from my crew. I backed up to a tree, pulled out my machette and swung for the fences. They knew how to hunt in a pack too, one would try and lure me from my tree so the others could sneak in from behind. I was swinging like a windmill and screaming my head off for my crew. Once one of my guys showed up the pack melted back into the woods. Saw thema few more times as we completed the job but when we humans were grouped they only watched from a good distance. I called A/C and told them of the encounter. A/C said that there had been some livestock maulings/killings in the area...spooky stuff.
WOW! Thats SO scary! Glad you made out ok!!!

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
I think that a person could very occasionally win an unarmed battle with a dog - BUT he/she would have to be lucky and also have the right mental state - i.e. trained to fight for your life against an unyielding "wild' opponent, perhaps a SEAL or other Special Ops individual. Not many of us ordinary human beings have ever been in that situation and it does have an impact. No Thanks!

Might make a difference what you were fighting for also - i.e. if you were out with your child/wife/etc. and were attacked.

Speaking of that, IF you did have to fight for your life against a dog What breed would you MOST not like to face? GSD, Rottie, big Pit, or a Giant (St Sarnard, mastiff, etc.)? Heck of a choice!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally Posted By: codmasterI think that a person could very occasionally win an unarmed battle with a dog - BUT he/she would have to be lucky and also have the right mental state - i.e. trained to fight for your life against an unyielding "wild' opponent, perhaps a SEAL or other Special Ops individual. Not many of us ordinary human beings have ever been in that situation and it does have an impact. No Thanks!

Might make a difference what you were fighting for also - i.e. if you were out with your child/wife/etc. and were attacked.

Speaking of that, IF you did have to fight for your life against a dog What breed would you MOST not like to face? GSD, Rottie, big Pit, or a Giant (St Sarnard, mastiff, etc.)? Heck of a choice!
A saint bernard mos deff!

It would remind me of Beethoven!!!

I dont think I would win.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Belgians being so quick and agile and I have seen them go for someone, and when an arm comes up they twist in mid air and go for lower down the body, Testicles being a favorite area. And yes my coated Belgians did go after threats, not trained but instinct. Obedience trained I was able to call off, but quite a threat. I have had them stop charging bulls in spring breeding season and a stallion that got loose, also three times human preditors, very fast and can turn on a dime, too scary for people being attacked

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I was told along time ago that if I ever got attacked by a dog to offer up a limb (like said earlier) and if I could manage it, shove my hand or arm or whatever, back into the dogs throat. That it could be enough to make most dogs rethink what they are doing, but it wasnt a *for sure* thing.

But better than 'nuthin.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I think this is sort of like a debate about if you could fight off an attacker. I think the majority of people could not. But if you know where your opponents "weak points" then you might have a chance.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts