German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for truck ramps? Shaeffer's 10 and still jumping in and out but I'd like to ease up on him. Also have the 18 week old pup that's now riding in the capped back of my F 150. He's at 55 pounds and getting too heavy. The ramps I've seen seem to have steep slopes. Thanks.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I built one myself that I could slide under the mattress but that's because I have a Toyota Tacoma and the other ramps would take up too much space. In the end I ended up teaching my older dogs to put their front paws up on the tailgate and then lifting them in and teaching to wait when unloading and lifting them out.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Also I think the type of ramp to get can be dependant on where you live. I had one of the solvit telescoping ramps (aluminum with plastic components and the "runner top" of it was like sandpaper stuff) and it was not suited for up here during the cold winter months. The plastic broke when tempertatures get below freezing and the sandpaper grit stuff cracked and broke off in pieces as well. So I got a Pet Step Ramp and it has held up very nicely - plus it is very very sturdy with a more "rubbier strip" type of runner material that doesn't break off when it gets wet and/or cold. It folds out to 70" long so I'm not sure what the slope would be like on your truck with it. I have a 4 runner and the slope is quite minimal so its easy for the dogs to walk up and down. A friend of mine has a Yukon and her tripod dog can navigate it very easily as well.

I got mine in Canada from Costco online and it was almost 1/2 the price of ordering from an online pet store or from the local pet stores so it was a great deal for the quality!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I really need a ramp. I'm surprised my dog is still jumping into my lifted F-150 although I park it next to a curb so its not that big of a jump.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same problem here. The pup can't make the jump yet,the adult GSD can but it's getting too hard and the wife has hurt her back lifting the pup. I don't know what happened to the links posted here.

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
I second the dogramp.com one! I also got the regular.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Maybe I just got a dud :(- it's too bad because I really liked the telescoping option it had as a space saver but I was worried that if I ordered another the same thing would happen to it when it hit below -20C.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I also got a dogramp.com one. Haven't used it that much. Saw this someone using this pet step one out at Fort Funston and really liked the concept as an alternative to a ramp-steps are 6" and it folded down pretty compact as well. Currently not available here, but this is the pic.

http://www.hunterk9.com/site/870877/product/MNP-09

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Originally Posted By: Nicole LMaybe I just got a dud :(- it's too bad because I really liked the telescoping option it had as a space saver but I was worried that if I ordered another the same thing would happen to it when it hit below -20C.
I think they have a three year guarantee.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts