German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I thought I might run this past you all, to get some opinions :)

I signed up for a 2 day seminar with a very experienced trainer. On the flyer it was advertised as bring your dog. So I filled in the paperwork and sent off the money (and it was quite expensive) on the booking form I crosses the box that said I'd be bringing my dog.
So when they emailed me with payment confirmation the trainers wife writes that I really should leave my dog at home as he will just be spending all day in the crate but I could bring him if I wanted to :(
I don't really see the point in taking him all that way, then booking dog friendly accommodation for the night and have him do nothing but sit in the crate.

I'm hugely disappointed, the reason I signed up was because I need some help with Hex and this trainer was highly recommended by a friend.
Now I'm sure I will still get a lot out of a 2 day full on seminar but not being able to "practice" on my own dog under supervision is really hard.
Yeah I'll be taking notes and asking questions - but that's not the same when I get home and try to put it into practice, I won't know if I'm doing it right :(

I'm considering cancelling my spot, it cost me a weeks worth of wages, I was so excited to get to work with this trainer and my dog but now I'm just feeling very blah over the whole thing.

I will maybe email the lady organising the seminar and ask her as their flyer did mention bringing dogs.

What would you do?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Hmm that's tough. My initial reaction is to say go but since it was expensive I dunno. Maybe take your dog anyway and see if you can grab a one on one to practice a few of the training techniques? That's the most you can hope for. I understand why the trainer wouldn't want open dogs there ESP if some have reactivity aggression or behavioral problems. Maybe can you email and tell the trainer you're a bit disappointed that they didn't tell you the dog Hex wouldn't be able to participate and if you can have some one on one time with your pup? M

If you go please share what you learned! C:

Oh huh in this case maybe you should go! I'm selfish and want to learn!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL ok so either no one cares (highly likely) or you're all as indecisive as me :) Never mind - I always seem to post things people have no answers for :D Or maybe it's just me LOL

·
5,627 Posts
LOL ok so either no one cares (highly likely) or you're all as indecisive as me :) Never mind - I always seem to post things people have no answers for :D Or maybe it's just me LOL
It's just the time that you post. Most of the members are in the US and so you are posting while we are sleeping.

Personally, I don't ever attended seminars with my dog that way my full attention is on what I am learning and I'm not thinking about if my dog needs to potty or is whining and bored.

If you think you will learn, go.

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
I would go. Usually working spots are only for 10-20 minutes anyway and auditing is what you'd be doing all the other time you are there. Best to take notes(video as well if possible) and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I'd still go, but I'd definately e-mail the trainer to see if you can sneak in a one-on-one session if you do still decide to bring your dog.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I like hands on training, so I would also be hesitant. I find it odd to not have any hands on work during a two day seminar. But, It really would depend on just HOW good this trainer is and how expensive.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I would go depending on the price. If you are auditing you shouldn't be spending the same amount as people who are working dogs.

·
Registered
31,701 Posts
I would go depending on the price. If you are auditing you shouldn't be spending the same amount as people who are working dogs.

^^^^^ My opinion also. :)

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I never take my dog to seminars. After going to seminars as funds allowed over the past 20+ years I finally decided that I learn more without my dog.
One of the first seminars I went to was with a very well known trainer at the time. Anyway the TD at our club told me to go and learn but not to be the first person to get my dog out. He told me to watch for a bit and try to get a feel for the training style, etc. Well this nice couple with their first sport dog jumped up to be first and it was awful. It was a young, happy female and they decided to demonstrate a forced track. I won't go into details but needless to say the couple ended up loading the dog up and leaving. I stayed through the rest of the seminar but told them my dog had hurt her shoulder so I would just spectate. The rest of the seminar wasn't that dramatic, so I'm not sure what happened with the first dog, but I decided then and there to be cautious with my dogs and seminars.
Generally the "guy with the briefcase" as we call them around here is kind of in a bad spot. Most of the people come to try to "fix" a problem. They get a very short time with each dog and have to come up with a miracle! Even the greatest trainer in the world will have trouble coming up with a real life, long term solution for every dog there. There are a few trainers that I have gotten to know and will take a dog to them, but I don't expect to go home with a problem solved, I expect to go home with more tools with which to work on the solution over time.
Having said that, I expect to pay a lower fee if I am there auditing the seminar and not working a dog. Also, if you audit the seminar you need to realize that you shouldn't ask endless questions and take time away from those paying the full fee.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
The problem with expecting you to get one on one time is that then the trainer has to give everyone one on one time. Depending on the size of the class...which is probably 20+ people, it isn't the best thing to expect one on one time. Even if the trainer splits an hour...that's at most 5 minutes a dog/person. Then...if its a two day, all day, seminar...your dog won't be in any form to work or learn if it has been laying at your side all day not being able to move while you're listening to the instructor.

Since the flyer said you could bring your dogs...but nothing about actually working them...you really don't have any cause to think that it was otherwise. Most seminars I've heard of are like the one you are describing. A well known trainer...gets 20+ people in a room, and talks about training their dogs. There isn't any work with the actual dogs as this would not only get very hectic...but would require a large amount of space that most places training seminars happen at don't have.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some great replies here, thanks, it makes me feel more at ease to read that most of you prefer to not take their dogs :)
I have decided I will go, it may open the door to doing a more hands on workshop with this guy too.

There was no option for either work a dog or just sit in and listen - it's just a flat rate for the seminar for 10 people.
In a way I'm relieved to not have to worry about the dog and our accommodation for the weekend as well. I was just a bit taken aback at being told not to bring a dog.

Guess if it's no good I won't go again, and if I do learn something all the better :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts