German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, not GSD specific, helping out a young family member (11) with his chihuahua x spaniel x maltese who is about 8 months old.

He’s taken great interest in training her, is hoping to save up for classes, but in the meantime (especially while we’re all on lockdown) I thought it’d be nice to send him some websites or videos of things he can work on until classes can be secured. Bonus points if you guys know of any videos featuring young handlers - I think he’d be pretty inspired seeing that.

He specifically asked about sit, come, settling in the crate and just general house manners (not running / jumping). And (from our conversations) seems pretty savvy in regards to luring and food rewards.

thanks in advance...

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Offhand I'd suggest pointing him at Stonnie Dennis videos on YouTube. He explains well, and he shows clearly how to teach many many simple behaviors.

Also, I just posted a bunch of links to some really good training how to links here: Corona Virus

Nice of you to help him out!

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
I always liked these video also. The videos are basic and simple and similar to those online school videos like Kahn academy that I now I hear old day now. Kids do well with that clear instruction.

·
Super Moderator
4,725 Posts
you can also look at The Family Dog site. And on YouTube there is The American Schutzhund Kid... not really training advice but it might be fun for your kids to watch another kid learning how to train, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts