German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya all

I'm starting training with a new group tomorrow, I've done a few seminars with them and they are great, much more professional than the trainer I used to go to. I'm quite excited, hope it all goes well.
The only thing that's a little annoying is the 40min trip each way to get there on a Sunday morning :)
So I was just wondering how far do you guys go to train your dogs?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Well, I go about 300 feet since the training field is on our property. But in our club there are a few people who live over an hour away. 25-30 minutes is the average.
We have one member who is looking at buying a place that is about 5 minutes up the road, her husband is good with it since she won't be spending so much time driving each week, but if it goes through then I'm thinking she'll just come out more often LOL.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My trainer is about a 1 1/2 hour drive for me. I see her every two weeks.

Group practice on Sunday morning is 45-50 minutes away.

I do wish I didn't have to drive so far, but it is what it is. This is what I love doing, so I don't really mind the drive.

I think if you like the group, it would be well worth the drive. Have fun!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i've traveled 1&1/2 hours one way for training. sometimes we packed
lunch for us and the dog and we would stop somewhere to eat.
many times we stopped and bought lunch. we always found a place
to let the pup run around. traveling for training was fun. we're hanging
out with the pup, having lunch, play time for the pup, hanging out as a pack.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
First class was a half hour trip, then I switched trainers and they were a hour away. Now I moved and am only 2 minutes away from the first trainer so I'm going back there

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Pretty much any place good to train in my area is over an hour drive...

:paw:

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I drive almost 2 hours every Saturday to train. There are no IPO clubs locally(closest one is 45 minutes, but I'd rather travel elsewhere for better training).
I use to have a 30 minute drive but our group disbanded.

I like where I train now, it is worth the time and cost of fuel!

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
When I lived in the Bay Area - very unusual: 10 minutes away, 4 helpers, active club. I was spoiled.

In Europe, I was about 40 minutes away.

In Budapest, the house is about 45 minutes or more from the club. The addition of the new bridge right by the house that goes around the city has helped with not having to go through Budapest on club night....

When I moved to TN, initial clubs were a little over an hour. But, when my dog retired and I had my daughter and then work - I

Now, we have a USCA club that is close; since we started it. But, we have people from 2.5 hours away, up to 6 hours away that travel to train.

Gabor, for helper work, travels hours.

·
Registered
341 Posts
We are about 45 min, without traffic and there is always traffic! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
About 1 1/2 hours each way once a week. Well worth the ride. We make it a mom and doggie day....stop by a river to walk and swim. Don't know how much I will like it in the winter if it is snowy and icy......

·
Registered
233 Posts
We drive about 20 minutes. We live in "the sticks" according to our friends. It's a 20 minute commute to everything but totally worth it for its peace and quiet.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
I got lucky and only have to drive 20-30 minutes for training. We go Wednesdays and Saturdays to the training field and Sundays we will go tracking at one of the fields in my area within half an hours drive.

Once or twice a month my trainer and I drive two hours to train with another club as well.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have to get off work an hour early. I then drive 40 minutes home to get my dogs, and then drive an hour to training.

Last week our tracking class got moved to about 10 minutes from my house and it was wonderful. This week, we're back at our old location. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
In my experience, this is one of the main reasons clubs split up. We have been in multiple clubs over the years. Most groups got along well, but as the club grows you get groups who are all traveling from the same area. At some point they realize there are enough traveling that they could just work closer to home base so will divide off (assuming at least one of them is a helper of course :)). In our current club there are about 5 people who all travel from the same general area, I am fully expecting them to form their own club at some point. I no longer take it personally or get worried about it. Around Atlanta, we have 4-5 clubs we can now travel to for trials or to practice on another field. It is nice to have a decent relationship with the other clubs, it makes it easier to get help or schedule a fun practice with another group.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I think it would be great to have so many options within an hour or two. Working on different fields and helpers is always an eye opener on the progress made.
In my area, there is nothing(Dutch and Irish not German settlers inhabiting?;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
For private lessons, 20 minutes. We're spoiled in that regard.
Group training sessions are anywhere from an hour to two since we rotate locations. For those, I have to be up at 5am to get myself and the pup ready. The first time I trained with this group, I was in the rain for 6 hours. The things I do for this dog... :p

·
Super Moderator
32,021 Posts
I typically drive 45 minutes to an hour each way, depending on traffic.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
At least an hour... depends on where we are training (club or private property). One is about an hour each way and the other is about 1.5-2hours away, sometimes more with traffic.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts