German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Boru muzzle fight
Here is what a serious, strong dog does when muzzle fighting. Just for comparisons sake to the original video.
We muzzled Bud, to protect our trainer. He wanted to show me control techniques.
He corrected Bud twice and the dog came straight up at him, wrapped his paws around the guys body and proceeded to smash him repeatedly with his stupid, blocky head when he realized he couldn't bite. Lol.
The dog in the first video did not look aggressive to me , and I would have used a much different approach. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I don't have a problem with an aggressive dog and if I did I would be seeking real help, not YouTube help.
I didn't see anyone address this directly, so I just wanted to say please don't wait to start addressing your puppy's reactivity. The sooner you start working on this the better!

It's HUGE mistake that lots of people make. Don't wait to SEE if it resolves itself, it won't!

What your dog needs is clear and consistent guidance NOW! It is, if handled correctly and promptly, usually resolvable. If you wait, and the dog practices it for awhile, it becomes more difficult, and success rates drop considerably.

Get working on it NOW!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Oh, yah, I am.
I didn't see anyone address this directly, so I just wanted to say please don't wait to start addressing your puppy's reactivity. The sooner you start working on this the better!

It's HUGE mistake that lots of people make. Don't wait to SEE if it resolves itself, it won't!

What your dog needs is clear and consistent guidance NOW! It is, if handled correctly and promptly, usually resolvable. If you wait, and the dog practices it for awhile, it becomes more difficult, and success rates drop considerably.

Get working on it NOW!
Oh, yah, I definitely am. I've actually gotten some positive outcome on my own so far, and he's doing good. I hopefully won't ever be in the position where I have to seek help elsewhere. Just had a breakthrough when it comes to that, as he sat quietly by me for the minute I was talking to the mailman a week or so ago. Now bark, one growl, no hair raised. He's doing good, and thanks for pointing that out.

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
We muzzled Bud, to protect our trainer. He wanted to show me control techniques.
He corrected Bud twice and the dog came straight up at him, wrapped his paws around the guys body and proceeded to smash him repeatedly with his stupid, blocky head when he realized he couldn't bite. Lol.
The dog in the first video did not look aggressive to me , and I would have used a much different approach. Am I wrong?
I would have used a different approach with the dog in the video as well. I would have worked that dog with out a muzzle. I would have developed some trust first, praised and rewarded the correct behaviors, been very patient and let the dog know I was in charge. Once I had the trust and respect the rest would come relatively easily. I have worked with some seriously aggressive dogs in a muzzle, it is definitely a safer way to go. Especially, if you are unsure, nervous or not very good at reading dogs. If I talk to an owner or handler and they assure me the dog is going to bite me, coupled with a few minutes of observing the dog, I might use a muzzle. I take the leash from other K-9 handlers all the time to demonstrate a technique or show them something to do. You can not do that with every dog. I do not have an issue with a dog that tries to bite a stranger for grabbing it's leash and correcting it, that is a natural reaction for some dogs. Inappropriate aggression is not to be tolerated, but a Police K9 that defends himself or becomes aggressive to a stranger that grabs his leash is fine with me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have pretty thick skin. (hopefully)
Here it is:
Take a look at the main video; after you get past the wild intro it's pretty awesome how he does it. Or don't.
Try out "Pack Leader Dogs" This guy uses real dog psychology to train and rehabilitate dogs! His videos on Youtube are all thorough and he goes step by step with everything! Very helpful

61 - 68 of 68 Posts