German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just though you guys might be interested in hearing about a trainer I've found. This trainer is pretty awesome.I love to share my finds with others! 馃槃

So I've been going to either professional dog sites, you guys, or YouTube for dog training tips and tricks. Last night I hit a pot of YouTube gold when it comes to dog training. I mean, I don't know how many of you would be able to turn a "dominant to the point of rage attacks when you touch his collar" kind of dog into a docile, forgiving creature. I definitely wouldn't, but this guy can. So he's a young, kind of crazy guy, so his videos look a little weird when you first see the titles, but he knows a little something when it comes to dogs, especially shepherds. He takes really serious cases of disobedience, dominance, aggression, and others, and turns the dog into a completely perfect dog in a couple of weeks! The best thing is, he doesn't show you how to train a dog with one that has already learned as an example, he shows you with a dog who is completely naive. He also makes it very clear that the very serious stuff he is doing(like this dominant dog) is not for beginners or a DIY.

On his channel he shows the watchers what he does and how he does it. Every time he makes headway in the video, he stops and explains to his watchers what he was doing and how he did it and not to do it yourself. I'm talking a really professional trainer!

The thing I thought was most interesting was that he had started his career as a horse trainer, training mustangs that weren't broke. I thought that was pretty cool, as he has meshed his training horses philosophies into his dog training philosophies and has come out with a great product.

I would post his YouTube channel on here, but I'm not sure that I'm allowed, so I didn't. But if anyone is interested in seeing it and could tell me whether or not I can, I would be happy to show you guys.
Just thought you might like to hear about it.

Registered
You can post it here...and in fact, it might help lots of people a!

My favorite is Stonnie Dennis. Curious to hear yours...

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I will post it tomorrow. I just didn't want to without knowing if I was allowed. I love Stonnie Dennis too!

Super Moderator
Just make sure you have a thick skin. Most of us understand that there is no One Size Fits All when it comes to training, but there are always a few that feel that they have found "the way".

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I have pretty thick skin. (hopefully)
Here it is:
Take a look at the main video; after you get past the wild intro it's pretty awesome how he does it. Or don't.

Registered
I love that you are watching videos and learning. Just be careful if you try to apply knowledge learned from these videos. There is so much more to reading a dog and applying things from videos can be detrimental to your training at a minimal and dangerous in worst case scenario.

If you want to watch videos to learn (and I think you are a teenager??) maybe ask your parents to subscribe to some of the Denise Fenzi online courses. There are different levels you can subscribe to and it's a decent price. Also, Dave Kroyer is only $10/month to his website. He's amazing and one of the best dog trainers in the country.

Registered
I'm not a fan of anybody who straps an e collar on an overstimulated dog, calls it "vibration" to the camera, then stims at a level which makes the dog shriek outloud for a couple seconds straight.

I just clicked for fun and saw all that in the first 5 minutes of whatever video I happened to click on. OP I think you could find better videos to learn from than this

Registered
That was painful to watch because someone is going to get seriously hurt or hurt a dog trying his methods on their own. That is not something I think should be advertised to the general public, nor do I agree with all his methods. If you are looking for training and handling advice, there are a lot of better ways to do it. I'm not going to criticize, as I think you are trying to be open minded, but I just can鈥檛 watch any more.

Registered
This guy came recommended on YouTube once so I watched some and it wasn't for me. There are better ways. Dave Kroyer, Ivan Balabanov, would be what I would spend my money on to really learn from the best. Bart Bellon is good too but I can't seem to find much in the way of video. Ivan B uses Pay per Train and it is worth a watch.

Super Moderator
I liked Upstate for awhile but lately, I've not been impressed. I think he gets in over his head and talks too much. Just my two cents. I like Larry Krohn. I like Canine Karma Training on Instagram. I like The Collared Scholar. I like some of the videos by Dog Training by K9-1 but I put their stuff under the category "don't try this without professional help". I like Chris Fraize. he pulls no punches. And I like Chad Makin, very passionate.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
@Jax08, @LuvShepherds: I am 13, and yes, I will be careful. That's why I stated in my first post that he is very careful to make sure the watchers know that what he does is not a DIY kind of training job.

@car2ner: That's the part I thought was great! He explains what he is doing instead of saying "This is how I do it so just listen up." You are right, he is quite talkative, but i am sensitive and notice when people take on airs, and I always thought that what he says is very reasonable. You may be right though; I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just saying I've never noticed that. I guess for professional doing (what I think is) a good job, I would say he deserves a little praise, but whatever.
My two cents right back. 馃槃 (No offense intended)

@Thecowboysgirl: I've looked through almost all of his e-collar stuff except for the pit bull stuff. (I don't care for pit bulls one bit, so I don't watch anything about them) I think he is quite gentle with his e-collar students, but I respect your opinion. Could you show me which video he did that in? I didn't see that one.

Some of you may not agree with what he does; I personally think he's a very good trainer. Not many people can work with such advanced cases of disobedience and handle them the right way. I believe he is one of the few that can.

Just my personal thoughts. You guys may think otherwise, but let's just "agree to disagree" here. There's room for that when it comes to dog training. I don't want to start any arguments.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, heh, here's another good one.

This guy doesn't get like a perfect heel, he's more of the type to meld dogs into obedience and following their masters without using stuff like a prong collar, choke collar, e-collar, etc. He's also pretty good, although his videos are more of a dramatic documentary type of video than a "how to get it done" video. But he's pretty cool.

Super Moderator
[B said:
@car2ner[/B]: That's the part I thought was great! He explains what he is doing instead of saying "This is how I do it so just listen up." You are right, he is quite talkative, but i am sensitive and notice when people take on airs, and I always thought that what he says is very reasonable. You may be right though; I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just saying I've never noticed that. I guess for professional doing (what I think is) a good job, I would say he deserves a little praise, but whatever.

Just my personal thoughts. You guys may think otherwise, but let's just "agree to disagree" here. There's room for that when it comes to dog training. I don't want to start any arguments.
What I mean by talking too much is he is talking to the clients when he should be concentrating on the dog. There is plenty of time to talk before and after, or talk while someone else is holding the leash. He is trying to do too much thinking about the recording, explaining to the client and handling the dog all at once. By the way, no offense taken at all. Different technique and styles for different dog and handler teams.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I'll give you that one. He does stop and talk a lot.

Registered
@Jax08, @LuvShepherds: I am 13, and yes, I will be careful. That's why I stated in my first post that he is very careful to make sure the watchers know that what he does is not a DIY kind of training job.

@car2ner: That's the part I thought was great! He explains what he is doing instead of saying "This is how I do it so just listen up." You are right, he is quite talkative, but i am sensitive and notice when people take on airs, and I always thought that what he says is very reasonable. You may be right though; I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just saying I've never noticed that. I guess for professional doing (what I think is) a good job, I would say he deserves a little praise, but whatever.

@Thecowboysgirl: I've looked through almost all of his e-collar stuff except for the pit bull stuff. (I don't care for pit bulls one bit, so I don't watch anything about them) I think he is quite gentle with his e-collar students, but I respect your opinion. Could you show me which video he did that in? I didn't see that one.

Some of you may not agree with what he does; I personally think he's a very good trainer. Not many people can work with such advanced cases of disobedience and handle them the right way. I believe he is one of the few that can.

This is the video I happened to click on. I assume based on the way they are talking that he hasn't worked with this dog before, so he just straps an e collar on it and proceeds to stim high enough that it looks to me like the dog is just shrieking from it right after about 4:10 in the video-- WHILE The dog is totally fixated on the dummy dog.

This goes against just about everything I know about e collars. And I definitely would not call it gentle. I also find it suspicious that the video cuts there too and then restarts. Wonder why? When it restarts the screen says "We're going to have to feather this in nice and relax" Don't even know what that means.

Maybe he has some good qualities as a trainer. I didn't like anything I saw in this video. I didn't finish it but toward the end the dog is freight train panting from stress and repeatedly jumping up on him which he says is from frustration but I see dogs do that a lot when they are stressed and freaked out by their circumstances.

Dogs do it all the time in group play when they are scared of the other dogs and they feel freaked out and they are trying to communicate their insecurity to the people they run up and jump up on me like this.

Registered
I remember a discussion on a working dog forum regarding this trainer and an aggressive German Shepherd. The consensus was that this trainer missed the boat on assessing the behavior and because of it was not being an effective trainer.

OP, do you read training books?

Registered
Do you have a problem with an overly aggressive dog? If not, I鈥榤 curious why you are focusing on videos that deal with extreme handler aggression. Most of us don鈥檛 have dogs that are that aggressive toward us. when a dog comes up the leash on a handler, it is too far gone for a typical pet owner to deal with. It takes a very competent and experienced trainer in the room with the dog to address it. Notice I didn鈥檛 鈥渇ix鈥 it. Even if that trainer can get a dog to react more calmly to him, it doesn鈥檛 mean the dog has become less aggressive, or that the dog will not do it again.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
@Thcowboysgirl: Okay, that was a little weird. Your right, there he seems to not be doing what I've seen him do before. It seems like he was overdoing it there. There are teachers out there that can teach a dog to stop being aggressive without e-collars, and I understand that. I mostly liked the training he did without the e-collar. You should watch some of that, as it really shows what he does well.

@LuvShepherds: I don't have a problem with an aggressive dog and if I did I would be seeking real help, not YouTube help. I just saw his video and really like how he dealt with the dog. I'm not trying to start a huge debate, I'm just pointing out that I liked how he handles his dogs normally. (Excluding the video Thecowboysgirl found)

@MineAreWorkingline: I have never found a decent training book in my library. I've been fine with your guys' help, professional articles, and YouTube videos. I've never needed to go to books, but I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to try.

Super Moderator
Tyler Muto for aggressive and reactive dogs, Larry Krohn for e-collar, Stonnie Dennis for general training and socialization, Kikopup and Zsains for tricks.

Then the big boys for seminars. Ivan Balabanov, Bart Bellon, Michael Ellis.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts