German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 month old female puppy showed she has food aggression towards dogs... She has never shown this towards people but today at a friends house we were outside with the dogs while they were playing in the yard when my puppy found a bone and laid down to chew it, as soon as my friends dog came over to entice her to play again she bared her teeth, lunged and snapped at my friends dog. This is the first time I have seen this, but she does everytime she has something that she either A) isnt suppose to have or B) something I want to put away like bully sticks or whatever she snatches it right up really fast and takes off. Any advice?

·
5,627 Posts
My 5 month old female puppy showed she has food aggression towards dogs... She has never shown this towards people but today at a friends house we were outside with the dogs while they were playing in the yard when my puppy found a bone and laid down to chew it, as soon as my friends dog came over to entice her to play again she bared her teeth, lunged and snapped at my friends dog. This is the first time I have seen this, but she does everytime she has something that she either A) isnt suppose to have or B) something I want to put away like bully sticks or whatever she snatches it right up really fast and takes off. Any advice?
Does she not show resource guarding to people or does she everytime she has A or B?

Resource guarding against other animals is completely natural and is a lot more complicated to work through than resource guarding against humans. First off is prevention, making sure toys and bones and high value items are not around when she is interacting with other dogs. Second is slow desensitization to having another dog near by when she has these items and showing her that good things happen. You need to have two people (to make sure the dogs can't go after each other) and a stable dog to work with. Your best bet is to get a trainer to help you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She does not show resource guarding towards people such as growling and stuff with her food, or toys and treats... she will however, if im trying to take a high value treat away from her she snatches it and takes off, or if she grabs something shes not suppose to have she trys to run away with it but never shows anything else other than grab and go.

I will speak to a trainer, thank you

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Yea best bet is to seek a behaviorist and or trainer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts