German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 7 year old golden and he behaves like a puppy.
he seem unaware of his size when playing with the puppy, and plays really rough with her. he doesnt play aggressively, but plays as if they are equals in size.
does his immaturity have to do with us sterilising him before he turned a year old?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was told if they don't calm down by age 4, they won't. I'm not sure if that's true or not. Mine's going on 5 and has yet to show signs of maturing. He's been banned from playing with my old girl Jazz (9 y/o) because her hips can't take it. He has Scarlet (16 mos) to rough house with though and she runs the snot out of him.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It's possible but unlikely, how was he socialized as a pup & young dog? how old was he when you brought him home? how old/big is the pup?

I suspect that 'playing nice' is a learned concept rather than an instinctive one; if pups are removed from the litter before 8-10 weeks & then have little or no contact with other pups, they may have very poor doggy skills.

If you stop the play <u>everytime</u> he's too rough - & you should as he is teaching the new pup inappropriate behavior - he may learn to moderate his play: to do this, you need to have him on a long line, unless he has a perfectly proofed leave it or recall.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
How does your pupy react to the play. Is she showing signs that she does not welcome the play or is she joining in with it?

There are degrees of "rough play" so it's difficult without more detailed description. But if in your opinion it's too rough, you should step in and stop the behavior.

I think we're still waiting for pictures, BTW?.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he tries humping the puppy and tries pouncing and putting his front paws on her back even though he is huge, and would most probably break her back if he succeeds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts