German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a dog tag that I can fit five lines on (name, address, and two phone numbers). I want it to be really strong too. There are so many types of metal and plastic that are used that I'm not sure which to get. I think brass or stainless steel might be the strongest.

I've gone to all the pet stores in the area and checked out the machines where you can get a tag right away, but they only have 4 lines max.

Anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
I would not give too much info on a tag. Is your dog chipped? If not it would be the thing to do with all the info. Heidi's name, and phone #'s with area code would be enough for someone to get in touch w/ you. or you could have two tags made if you really want all the info on your dogs collar. Too much info could be dangerous...

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I use Pettags.com. They have several types of tags, a lifetime guarantee, and some have 6 lines on one side AND you can have additional info printed on the back if you choose.

The Military"dog tag" style has up to 6 lines on the front and 2 on the back:

They are also very fast. (It usually takes less than a week to get them.)

Pettags

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
You're probably going to laugh at me, but I buy my dog's dog tags at the same place where I buy my own military dog tags - http://1800nametape.com/

Their prices are for a set of two, rubber silencers, (and a necklace chain, which you obviously won't need) so you have a spare to keep in case you loose one or the one you're using is starting to get really damaged. It takes a lot to damage military dog tags, they're stainless steel and the text is stamped in, so it won't "scratch" off like some of the cheaper engraved ones.

There are a number of color choices. I get the plain stainless. They also come in black, copper, gold, and red (medical alert).

I would also be cautious about putting all your information on the tag, like your full address and phone number. I have the dog's name and her tattoo number on hers, along with DH's name and our cell phone numbers. I've been considering adding her microchip number when I get a new set, so I can take off the Home Again tag. The less tags the better, IMHO, and with the county license and rabies tags, she's already jingling like a horse sled at Christmas.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Forgot to add, the military ones have 5 lines with 15 characters / line. One side only, as they're stamped, not engraved.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Try this place. I haven't used tem yet, but got the link from another poster some time ago:

Boomerang Tags

And I now need to get one order for Lancer.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I use http://www.tagxpress.com/

If you buy the large round plastic tags, they can fit five lines on the front and four lines on the back. My dogs carry more phone numbers on them than the yellow pages.

Onyx raises a point about security. My tags have the dog's name, then Dh's name, so it doesn't look like I'm a woman living alone. When I was a woman living alone, I just had my tags read "Fido My-Last Name," which would help Animal Control look me up, if my dogs somehow lost their licenses. But if you want to skip the name and address, just add another phone number. Your vet's, a friend's, your pet sitter's, kennel's, trainer's, even your email address.

Be sure to list an out-of-area phone number in case there's a major incident (earthquake, perhaps?) that knocks all phone service out for several days or longer. Cell phone towers run off electricity, so yes, cell phones wouldn't work either.

Nine lines of data. You'd be amazed how much information you can cram on a round dog tag!

Oh, and these are indestructible. I've never had one break.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info, everyone! That's a good point about having too much info on there. I always thought that if she got loose in the neighborhood, having our address would help someone bring her to us . But, I guess it could also be bad if it got into the hands of someone that wasn't so nice...

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Why do you say its not safe to have extra info on the tags? Doesn't it help speed up return? My dogs got loose before and wandered down the street. A neighbour brought them back to the house.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Well, when I was a nice single young woman and at the park, I had someone who seemed friendly enough petting my dog. Then I noticed he seemed to be flipping my dog's tag around and reading as he was petting her. My tag had my address on it. Creepy.

I ordered new tags the next day.

I know another woman who had the same experience. Mine was in CA. Hers in WA. So it's not just one neighborhood weirdo.

But now that I have a big hunky husband and a big scary looking GSD, (and a home alarm system) I've opted to put my address back on my tags. I know it's easiest for me when I find a loose dog (and if I can't get the owner by phone), if the address is on the tag, I can just give him a ride home. And I hope that someone else might give my dogs the same consideration.

It's a matter of weighing the risks.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Originally Posted By: Everett54Try this place. I haven't used tem yet, but got the link from another poster some time ago:

Boomerang Tags

And I now need to get one order for Lancer.
I LOVE my boomerang tag that lays flat on the collar. I put our last name and our cell numbers. People say not to put your pet's name in case someone tries to steal him/ her by calling their name, but mine is tattooed so I hope that would help avoid theft =P

·
Registered
598 Posts
I also have one from Boomerang and love it:

http://www.boomerangtags.com/store/list.php?A=S&ID=26

I had to have it riveted on by a local leatherworker, as the rivets that came with it were not long enough (Kodee has a very thick leather collar). They also sell "slide on" tags, but the large one I got (for the same thick collar), would slide right off everytime I took Kodee's collar off for anything. I was afraid I'd lose it.

G

·
0 Posts
Here's another one. I've gotten tags from LuckyPet for decades. They last very well indeed. Never lost one yet and they come in sizes tiny, small, medium, large and jumbo. And yes, you can have five lines of text.

http://luckypet.com/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts